Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Replacing Audi Gamma Bose Headunit -- 1995 A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Replacing Audi Gamma Bose Headunit -- 1995 A6

I replaced the Gamma Bose cassette head unit in my parent's 1995 Audi A6 with a Blaupunkt CD head unit. I adapted the harness to feed the pre-outs on the Blau to the Bose amps. It works and sounds great -- EXCEPT -- that the amps/speakers make an annoying loud popping sound whenever you turn on the system, change a source, change a radio station, etc. I also tried a Kenwood head unit with a different pre-out voltage -- same popping sound problem.

Any idea what gives? A tech at Best Buy suggested feeding the speaker outputs directly into the Bose amps rather than the pre-outs, but that did not make sense to me. Would a speaker level to pre-out line level converter help?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the Blaupunkt a high output unit (50watt x4)??

If so, I would bypass the Bose amp and go direct to the speakers.

Feeding the speaker outputs to the Bose amp is not a good idea. And using a hi-lo adapter is redundant, as you have already fed the Bose amp a clean pre-amp signal.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Blanking Transistors

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html">FIX</a></li></ul>
Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You need to use a Hi-Lo converter and feed the speaker outputs into the amp

You can buy the speaker input adapter which does both. This gets rid of the popping but will give you a substandard signal, as it's already been amplified very well by the Alpine, then amplified again badly by the Bose amp.
Don't whatever you do by pass the Bose amp as the ose speakers are 2ohm impedance which could/will knacker the Alpine.
The only good way to sort it is to add some capacitors across the RCA's which will filter the pop, but this is a right pain to do.
You could also try a ground loop isolator on the RCA's. Basically the Bose amp uses a bizarre capacitor array on the front stage to the amp. This doesn't like the industry standard method for silencing the RCA's when you do anything electrically noisy like change CD track etc. So when an aftermarket HU grounds the RCA's on these occasions (so you don't hear any electrical clicking) it discharges the capacitors which causes the pop.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Re: You need to use a Hi-Lo converter and feed the speaker outputs into the amp

Thanks, MacSub for the thorough reply. I'd just as soon keep the Bose amp and speakers. Can you give me some more detail as to how to add the capacitors across the RCA pre outs? What value capacitors, connected between which leads? if that doesn't work, I'll try the hi-lo converter. I recognize the drawbacks, but my parents aren't audiophiles, they just don't want the annoying popping sound.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agreed....

... using a line-level converter to feed the speaker-level outputs from the head unit into the Bose amp (through the stock radio input plug) was my resolution when <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/60037.phtml">replacing the Delta head in my '97</a>. I tried ground loop isolators on the RCA's and it didn't do a thing to stop the bass thump.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This link has the instructions

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=26307">http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=26307</a</li></ul>
Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Re: This link has the instructions

Many thanks for the link to the instructions. I'll give it a try and post to let all know if I had the same success.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just a FYI MacSub, regarding the 2 ohm load and Alpine...

..while it is not the electricaly sound or recommended way, it can be done without "knackering" the Alpine.

There are ~12 Audi/Bose cars out there for years now without failure with aftermarket head unit connected to Bose speakers.

Some the Bose amp crapped out, some the car owner didn't want to spend/ have the extra money to replace the speakers.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's why I said could/will knacker the HU, depends how hard you drive the speakers

I imagine it would sound bloody awful as well, but that's another debate.....

Quick Reply: Problem Replacing Audi Gamma Bose Headunit -- 1995 A6