Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems looking for new head unit, help please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems looking for new head unit, help please...

i am bored with eclipse, i can not stand alpine (too much flashing and buttons too small), nakamichi is constantly broken, fosgate (no, feels like a cheap toy), clarion (undecided, haven't really had much experience), sony mobile es (kinda liked the cdx ca760x, but i'm still not sold, "it's a sony") and that is pretty much it. the main thing i need is quality line outs as well as quality sound output. i hate flashing screens and useless gadgets. my approach is clean power from the beginning, but i do NOT want to spend the big bucks this time (no more than $300). i need help bad!!!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aiwa
Old 03-19-2002, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

aiwa? bahahah, he said QUALITY.. aiwa makes toys.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: problems looking for new head unit, help please...

Unfortunately flashing screens and gadgets is the norm these days, unless you buy an entry level $150 head unit.

You mentioned most of the big name brands except Kenwood, so you can try them. They do make some decent head units these days. Also check oit Blaupunkt.

One of the reasons I'm sticking with stock is because it integrates the nicest and it's not gawdy with dancing dolphins and crap.

If I ever put in an aftermarket HU, I'll probably have the lights on my old old old Sony ES C590 fixed. It's a very basic head unit but it's been solid for 5 years, except for the face plate light flashing on and off sometimes (loose wire inside).

The onld Sony ES models were solid, great units. I don't know much about the Xplod ES stuff. Sony ES is usually hit and miss. Might get a ****ty one, might get an awesome one. If you get a ****ty one, usually sending it in for warranty work makes it an awesome one.

If you want something that's plain looking, you gotta go Nakamichi or ultra ultra costly McIntosh or the Clarion 9255.. but you don't want to go to those prices you said.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:39 AM

Default No suggestions, but I know exactly what you mean . . .

If I had the $, and based on looks alone I'd go with the Becker unit mentioned here. I would have to do more research though, because I haven't seen a post/review from anyone who actually has one. Sound quality may be less than it should for a $600 unit . . .

For now, the clunky double-din stock unit is better than any alternatives I've seen. Let me know if you find something you like in that price range!
Old 03-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Rest In Peace

You have no options sorry. Mac is your only option, and it;s not in your price range.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have to admit, I haven't replaced my head unit in some time as I also hate all the lights on the

newer head units. However, I have to say that Alpine has always kept me extremely satisfied, and while I don't like the lights, you can turn them off. Also, their newest line has more traditional size buttons and controls than the head units sold last year. You may want to revisit it again.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They're toys for about 10 minutes, then they break and they're just things that take up space in the

dash!! POS
Old 03-19-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Kenwood.......

I have one of the Kenwood MP3 players, and it isn't too bad, it has red button illumination (to match with the interior) you can turn off most of the graphics, and you get MP3 capability, the only draw backs are a @#$%ing annoying single blue button, and a normal CD doesn't sound quite as sweet as my previous alpine HU.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:03 PM

Default I guess YOU had a bad experience....i have a $299 model

and it runs fine after 6 months and it sounds better than models/brands costing twice as much.

Quick Reply: problems looking for new head unit, help please...