Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q5 Android Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Android Head Unit Install

I have a 2010 Q5, non-MMI, that I am getting ready to install a 10.25" Android head unit into. It is a Mekede/Navifly Q5AL-680C I purchased from Aliexpress. It comes with no instructions, but from watching lots of YouTube videos and researching around the internet, most of the install looks fairly straight-forward. The one thing I am unsure about is it comes with a remote mic and speaker in the box. Most installation guidance I have found does not have those things. There is a pretty good video on YouTube by The Fitting Bay where his kit includes a speaker, but he says it is unnecessary and does not install it. RSNAV's instructions for their kit seem to use some adapter to tie into the car's center speaker in the dash. Is the car's center speaker only used for the factory voice feedback and so they are tying the head unit into that, or is it used for music as well? What would happen if you don't connect a speaker? Shouldn't the head unit play through the regular car speakers through its audio out (for mine that gets plugged into the AMI)? Also, what about the mic? From everything I've heard the call quality on these Android units, even with an external mic, is terrible. Some say it's better when using Apple CarPlay, but it's unclear why that could be. Does CarPlay use your iPhones mic or the head unit's? In general, for any phone calls wouldn't it be best just to keep using the car's factory integrated bluetooth and mic? What about Siri? Right now with the factory setup, using the voice button on the steering wheel does strange things between the phone and car trying to do things. I end up just controlling things directly with the phone, but the call goes through the car's bluetooth. I'd like to be able to use the steering wheel button to control Siri and CarPlay on the head unit. Does anybody with one of these know if it works that way?
Anyway, a bit of a rambling post with a mix of questions, but if anybody has one of these type units and can offer any input or advice, it would be appreciated. My plan right now is just to install it without the external mic or speaker and see how it works and then add them if necessary. Also, if anybody knows them to be necessary, where did you put them?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2024, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One more thing - the unit comes with a Navi control **** interface that replaces the so-called coin holder in the center console. Is that of any actual usefulness considering you have the touch screen right there above it? Anybody that has it, do you ever use the **** or just the screen? I may install it just because that coin holder is so ridiculous, but I'm curious if it's actually useful.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

my 2014 Audi Q5 has a dead head unit and I’m trying to figure out the best option for replacing it or somehow upgrading it. I’ve seen some of these android head units but I question their quality and quality control. So I’m following this.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1
my 2014 Audi Q5 has a dead head unit and I’m trying to figure out the best option for replacing it or somehow upgrading it. I’ve seen some of these android head units but I question their quality and quality control. So I’m following this.
What is fitted in your Q5 ? Concert/Symphony radio (no console controls) or MMI3G (center console controls) ? --g
Old 07-19-2024, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Carlinklife provides two different styles of screens
8.8 inch factory style screen

https://carlinklife.com/products/and...5-b8-2009-2016

Old 07-19-2024, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

12.3" Android head unit

https://carlinklife.com/products/12-...5-q5-2009-2016