Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q7 4L Audio Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Right Speaker Install

The rear speaker install is very straight forward.

You will need to remove the wood trim and cover for the pull handle.

There are 4 torx screws: (1) underneath the wood trim and right of the door handle, (2) screws on the top and bottom of the pull handle, and (1) on the very bottom.

The wiring must be disconnected and the Bowden cable. First remove the Bowden cable hook from the handle. Then disconnect the tweeter and the door wiring from the door control unit.

Here is the door panel removed.

Last edited by h3rmes; 11-22-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Right Rear Speaker Install

This is a view of the speaker enclosure. It will fit a 6.5" standard aftermarket speaker.

This is the speaker enclosure with the Cento speaker.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Listening Experience Cento + Bose

I expected the Bose amplifier to perform poorly with a 4ohm load from the Hertz Cento. My expectations were verified. No major improvement in sound quality was achieved. I will now acquire some outboard amplification to assess sound quality again. I had wanted to use the Focal FDP 4.600 amplifier for this project because of its massive power, however, Audi and Bose constantly throw monkey wrenches in my way.

The wiring on the Audi Q7 4L is at best pathetic, here is why:

The front 7.5" woofers, if you can call them woofers, are wired independently from the midrange. The midrange in the dash is then wired to the sail panel tweeters that also have a resistor. Therefore to produce a full range sound in the Cento, the midrange must be tapped and combined with the signal in the woofer. Warning to component speakers buyers, it won't work in the Audi Q7 4L. You get a low signal in your new woofer and a hi signal in your new tweeter, but no midrange unless you plan on replacing the mid range speaker in the dash and are able to tap into that signal.

The rear speakers are actually full range with a tweeter connected with a resistor. Definitely worth investigating to use as a full range signal. Perhaps it can be mirrored for the front Centos in an amp that do that?

Given these monkey wrenches, I will buy the AudioControl.

This will give me the flexibility to combine the hi-mid and lo signals for a full range sound.

Last edited by h3rmes; 11-22-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default On second thought, In Consideration of the Subwoofer

I will obtain this:

I was never really happy with my JBL Bass Pro Subwoofer with a built in amplifier. Sound was good, but I am curious about their other product, the JBL Stadium Pro. It is a dual voice coil 4 ohm subwoofer. The Audio Control does support a dual voice coil subwoofer down to 2 ohms in a parallel configuration. Now that would be interesting to hear.

I will post my listening experience soon.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Well I have to give it to you, this is an interesting read. Still, I don't know if I could justify the expense. But I look forward to seeing more results 👍
Old 11-26-2022, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Perhaps I was too harsh of the Bose amplifier earlier

Originally Posted by bg_2007Q7
Well I have to give it to you, this is an interesting read. Still, I don't know if I could justify the expense. But I look forward to seeing more results 👍
After adjusting the bass and subwoofer controls, I am getting improved bass response in the front and better midrange bass and treble response in the rears. I am beginning to get just a taste of what the Cento might sound like with outboard amplification. While I am tempted to push the volume even higher, I am reminded that having four 4 ohm load speakers on the Bose will eventually blow it up. At reasonable volumes the Centos are demonstrating that they are indeed better speakers that the Bose but only at 1/3 of capacity. These Centos can do much much more. With a comfortable 70 watts RMS per speaker and peaks up to 210 watts, I am now more than eager to get outboard amplification.

I have also decided to have the Bose amplifier continue to power the midrange and treble in the front and the treble in the rears, since the load much lighter powering the mid-range and tweeters. Once the Centos have outboard amplification mixed in, I am curious how the tetolon tweeter in the Cento will sound with the Bose tweeters together.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Amplifier Wire De-Coded - Mid & Tweeter

Folks,

I am sharing the Bose 38-pin Amplifier Wire De-Coded for the benefit of Audi World members. Enjoy!

Old 11-26-2022, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Amplifier Wire De-Coded - Front Woofers

Old 11-26-2022, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Amplifier Wire De-Coded - Rears

Old 11-26-2022, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Amplifier Wire De-Coded - Subwoofer