Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the existing wiring going into my Symphony HU.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the existing wiring going into my Symphony HU.

Ok guys, so, i'm trying to read up and learn a little bit about the audio wiring in my car. I have a 2000 A4, which is the Symphony HU, including the Bose package. I'm a pretty decent computer guy, but have never ever dabbled in car audio. But, i'm toying with the idea of perhaps building a carputer.
Now, i haven't ruled out upgrading the existing speakers in my car, but my initial thought is to keep the stock speakers. With that in mind, i have a question.
I foundh some useful info that pointed me to this "pre-amp adapter". Can i use this adapter to plug in to the existing wiring that currently goes into the Symphony HU and take the RCA ends and plug them into the audio output of a computer? if the answer is yes, do i need to do any mods to the current wiring to plug this adapter in? if the answer is no, is it possible to rig something up that would accomplish this? what would that entail?
i'm really hoping for an easy solution, but i don't know if that's asking a lot?

thanks guys!<ul><li><a href="http://www.midwestelectronics.com/product_info.php/cPath/178_262/products_id/140">pre-amp adapter</a></li></ul>
Old 01-03-2006, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Maybe this is an option.

I'm planning to use this with an old laptop as phatbox replacement and more. For a carPC it seems to be ideal because it gives you a PC to Symphony audio adapter as well the option to control the PC with the CD buttons. Just a thought and not too expensive.<ul><li><a href="http://indashpc.org/new/adapters/usbvag.html">http://indashpc.org/new/adapters/usbvag.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-03-2006, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default very interesting!

what i'd like to do is replace the HU all together with a touchscreen LCD driven off a custom PC. i actually have a phatnoise unit now... if i'd known about this thing before i bought the phatnoise, i may have considered trying this thing out...
Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dirk: Very cool stuff!!
Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I'm reading that right, you want to plug that adapter from the URL into your headunit...

...and then plug the RCA's from that same adapter into a PC's soundcard output. Is that right? If so, it wouldn't be what you're needing. That adapter from the URL you provided plugs into a signal output from the HU. You would have audio outputs going to audio outputs, which gets you nothing.

Now, what you could do is run those RCAs from the adapter into the audio Input for the PC soundcard. Then run the audio output from the PC soundcard to an external amp. You'd be using your PC to do any source switching.

Your quote, for reference: "Can i use this adapter to plug in to the existing wiring that currently goes into the Symphony HU and take the RCA ends and plug them into the audio output of a computer?"
Old 01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the feedback.

I've been doing more research and i don't know if what i want to accomplish will be very easy (at least for someone of my limited knowledge). I *think* what i need to do is to get a harness that will fit into the existing harness that plugs into the back of the syphony unit. Then, somehow, i need to take the input wires from the harness and get RCA adapters on to them and that can plug into the PC, which would be my sole source of audio.