Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for MMI Nav. plus owners about HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for MMI Nav. plus owners about HD Radio

Hello, first post, I actually own a 2012 VW Touareg. Don't judge me!

2011 & 2012 Touaregs equipped with factory nav have the RNS-850 nav-radio system. I have discovered that multiple RNS-850s have a defective HD Radio tuner. They are unable to play HD Radio in stereo. They can only play it in mono, and then only the left-channel information is present. The right channel is completely missing.

I realize HD Radio has many "issues" but this one is very clearly a fault in the RNS-850: It cannot play HD Radio in stereo, period. It has nothing to do with weak signals or dropouts. You can be in a very strong signal area and the RNS-850 will not play HD Radio in stereo. It plays regular analog FM in stereo just fine.

So in researching the issue I discovered that the Audi MMI Nav. plus system is essentially the same hardware as the VW RNS-850.

My question to Audi owners: Can anyone confirm that their MMI Nav plus system plays HD Radio in stereo?

You may ask: How do I tell? Well here's a Directory of HD Radio Stations (US). Try to find an HD Radio station as close to you as possible.

And here's a video I uploaded to YouTube that attempts to demonstrate the problem with the RNS-850 (best to use headphones if possible):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXq18aV-jSk

The video includes some general info on how to enable HD Radio in the Touareg and how it's supposed to work. Presumably the Audi system is very similar.

I would appreciate any feedback from my fellow VW Group owners. So far VW is denying that there is a problem and I'm trying to muster up as much corroborating evidence as possible. Thanks. Hopefully the Audi does *not* have this problem, but either way, it would be useful to know because if the Audi radio works correctly and it's the same hardware as the VW radio, then the VW should work too.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I do not have a problem with my car with HD radio being in mono.

I do have a issue with high frequency static (painful) when the station is going behind a hill, multipaths, or on the fringe of reception.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Reggie.

Anyone else who can confirm the Audi MMI HD Radio works fine (or doesn't) is encouraged to chime in. I gots to know!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Eugene-Dave-1
Thanks Reggie.

Anyone else who can confirm the Audi MMI HD Radio works fine (or doesn't) is encouraged to chime in. I gots to know!
You would probably get more responses from the Q5 and Q7 and other specific car forums. - not too many hit this thread
Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
You would probably get more responses from the Q5 and Q7 and other specific car forums. - not too many hit this thread
Yeah, being new here I'm reluctant to "cross-post" though. Some forums really don't like that.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Yeah, being new here I'm reluctant to "cross-post" though. Some forums really don't like that.
I think you will be fine.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may post in other threads once I have a new video ready, which will have much better audio quality and make the issue easy to hear.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If any 2011 or later Audi owners with MMI HD Radio have access to VAG-COM I'd be very interested in seeing the VCDS data. Should be Module 56 (at least it's 56 on a Touareg).

Here's mine (some unique identifying data obscured):

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Address 56: Radio (R) Labels: Redir Fail!
> > Part No SW: 4G0 035 082 B HW: 4G0 035 082
> > Component: Radio U SIRIU H53 0076
> > Revision: AB001007 Serial number: 156JY0B75xxxxx
> > Coding: 020007020100000001
> > Shop #: WSC xxxxx xxx 00001
> > VCID: 1F4D56AF0Exxxxx
> >
> > No fault code found.
> >
> >
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's my best shot at demonstrating the problem with the VW RNS-850, which is supposedly the same unit as the Audi MMI 3G (+).

Please use headphones if possible, and read the description (direct link to the video is above the embedded video window).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDi0dUAwRWs
Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here's my best shot at demonstrating the problem with the VW RNS-850, which is supposedly the same unit as the Audi MMI 3G (+).

Please use headphones if possible, and read the description (direct link to the video is above the embedded video window).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDi0dUAwRWs
I have a new Audi S5 with the same problem with my HD radio with MMI 3+. But I do find that if I'm in an area with very good reception the HD radio does work as it is supposed to in true stereo. The issue I have is there are only very limited areas where it works and since I live and drive mostly in the suburds around Boston it typically is a waste so I've stwiched the HD off. The service manager at the local Audi dealership gives me the standard line that HD if a poor product but I think it's the radio that isn't able to pick up anything but a real strong HD signal. I've also spoke to Audiusa and they said they will check it out and get back to me. I told them we pay extra for a radio with HD (which they state on their website "gives crystal clear AM & FM sound of HD radio technology with over 1,000 new staions"). I'll let you know their response but I don't expect them to do anything.

Quick Reply: Question for MMI Nav. plus owners about HD Radio