Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problems

Hi, I'm having radio issues. I just got a 1994 Audi 100 and right before picking it up from the mechanics' (after getting an inspection)I have not been able to operate the radio. When it was inspected, the backup light had to be replaced, and because a refurbished part was used, the transmission had to be calibrated (I have no idea if this has any effect on the radio or not). From my own research, when the battery has been disconnected, the display should read "safe", but there is no display at all. The tape deck lights up and the little red light flashes when the car is off. When I turn the **** to switch the radio on I can hear a very faint hissing sound through the speakers, but it doesn't get louder as I turn the volume up, and nothing comes up on the display. Also, I'm not getting a radio frequency on the instrument display (which I'm apparently supposed to see).

I've done a little research, and I see that there is a fuse in the radio...could this be the problem? I'm sorry for being so absolutely clueless, but I guess this is the best way to start learning! It's driving me a little crazy not having any music, so help is most appreciated.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes I'd pull the HU and check the fuse on the back first

It could be any number of things but you need to check out all the obvious stuff first.
There's also a fuse in the fuse box that feeds the radio (Radio S-Kont).
Old 12-26-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Yes I'd pull the HU and check the fuse on the back first

I pulled the radio out and checked the fuse, everything seems to be fine. I also checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they're all fine as well. I looked in the user manual and it said that the radio has a thermal fuse that automatically resets after a circuit overload. I had someone who is slightly more knowledgeable look at it, and he said that there is not enough power feeding the radio...just enough to light up the tape slot, but not enough to get a signal or operate the display. I'm going to call the mechanic tomorrow and tell them what's going on.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not enough power can only mean that you have a flat battery

This cannot be the case with the engine running.