Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real bad rattling from my rear deck speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 09:22 AM
G18
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real bad rattling from my rear deck speakers...

couple weeks ago my rear deck lid speakers started rattling and it has progressively gotten worse. i have a 98 A4 with the bose system. i play my music pretty loud and listen to mostly rap/techno. could it be blown speakers?

initially i thought it was just the rear passenger side speaker but when messing with the balance and moving all sound to the driver's side i still had a lot of rattling. i usually had my bass level set at +3, i lowered it to 0 and there was still a lot of rattling. does this sound familiar to anyone?

if i do end up needing new speakers, are aftermarket speakers a direct replacement for the stock bose rear deck lid speakers or are other things involved as well? (amp, wiring, etc. i know very little about audio.)

if anyone could offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. its getting to the point where i cant even listed to my music :-(
sorry for the long post but i need my music.
TIA
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Bose speakers is very common

If they rattle at lower volumes now then they have blown. You can try replacing them for aftermarket, but the Bose ones are 2 ohm impedance so you may find you have to fade more to the rear to get the same volume as before.
You'll also need fitting adapters as the Audi mount uses a wierd profile.
To get to them you have to pop up the rear deck (it is held onto the sheet metal with plastic pop connectors), disconnect the rear brake light and slide the whole deck panel out.