Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear speakers, with a twist.............

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speakers, with a twist.............

Okay, I have a 99 Avant with the non Bose, Concert stereo. The speakers are in the rear doors. Are the rear speakers amplified? I want to keep my rear speakers, but I am adding an aftermarket head unit. If they are amplified, can I send a line level signal to the speakers by hooking some type of an adapter to the RCA ouputs on the aftermarket headunit? This is really what I would like to, so if anyone can help me I would really appriciate it.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are saying that you want keep you stock rear

speakers and stock amp, I think that you can.

The stock speakers are connected to the line outs on the concert. In fact, when I installed my amps, I had to disconnect the wires that fed the rears in order to put in the line-out blau adapter in.

I would bet you could, but probably few if any people have tried. It would seem kinda silly to go through the expense of getting a new head unit and leave in those crappy speakers and amp (IMHO)
Old 04-04-2002, 08:08 AM

Default so are RCAs considered line out levels?

Can you get an adapter that goes from RCA outs on the back of the head unit that turn into speaker wires (but with a line level signal) that I can hook up to the factory wiring in the dash so I can just keep the rears.

The reason I am keeping the rears is because I am putting 5s in the front, and amping them, and a sub, so I just need the rears for fill and passanger happiness.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, RCAs are line-outs or pre-amps

You can go to radio shack or similar and buy a RCA jack to make your own connection. I would try this first. You should also be carefull that the rear amp gets turned on. I have not looked at that wiring, but I imagine that the headunit turns on the amp on that speaker. You will have to do some testing to see if this works and how to wire it.

Ultimately you will have to attach left, right and common (gets shared) to the RCAs - and - perhaps +12vdc to that little amp. You may want to look at the bently wiring diagrams and see what wires the amp has going to it.

This approach may save you $$ but it is starting to sound like a PITA. I understand why you are doing this, but remeber even if it is only for rear fill - crappy sound can still undermine the good sound in the front IMHO.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:54 PM

Default i think the voltage levels would be different

the stock speakers take a very high input voltage if I remember right (non bose)

aftermarket unit puts out around < 4 volts usually

the stock HU puts out around 17 if I remember right

it still might work, who really knows for sure what will happen...