Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REQ: help with the Bose amp and subwoofer locations

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REQ: help with the Bose amp and subwoofer locations

First of all, where is the subwoofer? I can't find the thing, and i sure hope it isn't the speakers the rear deck. That would explain the rather poor bass production though.

Second of all, are there any detailed directions for accessing (what to do, what to remove, how to remove, etc.) the items. Preferably with pictures to indicate the process, the tools, etc. I'm pretty sure the amp is located on the driver's side in the trunk, but I haven't figured out an easy way to it.

Third, does changing the amp only make any real difference, or does the wiring and/or speakers need to go to? That is, to make an improvement in sound quality (and volume, although that is really a secondary concern).

Fourth, does the head unit sound okay with the other parts replaced?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

in a 2001 S4
Old 09-20-2002, 01:53 PM

Default ...

The amp and subs are probably on the passenger side in the trunk, behind the wall panel...To remove, just unplug and unscrew and the parts will come off, it's not too difficult...As far as replacing the audio components, this is what I suggest...Changing out the amp WILL yield a noticable difference in SQ...If money is a limiting factor, you can stop here and get better SQ, but you won't be able to crank the music to hear the full potential of the amp because the amp will blow the speakers. The speakers will not blow for the meantime as long as the gain on the amp is down and you keep the volume down relatively low...The next thing would be to replace the front/rear speakers - get components...This will allow you to turn up the gain and the volume as well...The next step is to change the HU, this will help you out alot, but if you want to keep the stock look, then you can get away with it...The stock HU is really not that bad, but still not as good as a quality aftermarket HU...For the Amp/s you can either get a nice 5-channel amp to power 4 speakers and 1 sub, or if you want better SQ and SPL, then get 2 seperate amps...