Sponsored by:

RNS-D Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RNS-D Upgrade

Hi,

I have found lots of threads on updating to RNS-E, but I'm upgrading the RNS-D in my 2003 allroad to a Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB.

I have a multi-function steering wheel and Bose. I did a fair bit of research and found the Enfig in the US provide a harness that caters for Bose and allows the retention of steering wheel controls. I have this harness https://shop.enfigcarstereo.com/prod...rwh-aud2-hilo/.

I connected everything as per the instructions with the exception of the CAN connection. The harness is made for converting from Symphony II and has the CAN H/L on the red connector. The RNS-D doesn't have these connections. Instead I went to the TMC controller under the driver's side dash and connected the two wires on the Enfig harness directly to the CAN H/L Infotainment wires that go into the TMC. The TMC was unique to the RNS-D. It had two functions, one to get Traffic Management Channel data for the Europe and the UK and the other was to translate the Audi CAN to the Bosch CAN that the RNS-D used. Therefore, the CAN signal at the rear of the RNS-D is no use to my new set up.

However, nothing is working. The CAN controller on the Enfig harness provides power to the new unit as well as the steering wheel controls. It allows the new head unit act like factory, i.e. it only turns off when you completely remove the key andnot when you turn off the ignition.

This seems like a CAN problem. I presume the Infotainment CAN is the correct one to connect to? From what I can see, that's what's normally connected to the Symphony II. Is there any VCDS coding that needs to be done to remove RNS-D settings?

As I said, lots on swapping to another Audi head unit, but noting about going aftermarket from an RNS-D.