Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saving My Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving My Dash

Just tried to install Boston Acoustics 5.25 Rally Speakers up front in my 01 non-Bose factory unit, only to find out they sounded worse than the factory speakers. Luckily, Sound Track here in Denver said "our bad, we told you they'd sound better" so they acknowledged they sounded worse and reinstalled factory speakers, no harm, no foul.

Only alternative they say is to now begin from scratch with different head unit, amp etc. and I'll lose current dash look (lights, color, facia etc.). I'm hungry for a good sounding system, but need advice.
Has anyone found a way to make the factory head unit work with aftermarket spakers, amps,, or do audiophiles just give up and go with different interior look? (I'm mainly into acoustic sounds, vocals, etc. and greatly prize clean, full, accurate sounds). Well, this is long and rambling, but would certainly welcome hearing of others experiences and solutions.
Old 11-29-2000, 12:50 AM

Default hey you are in luck, i feel exactly the same way... read ahead

there is a line out for the symphony head unit, i read the faq at www.audizone.com, i don't know the exact location but check it out.

I m running 4" ads components in the front, and 6.5" ads coaxials in the back I am powering all of this through a rockford fosgate 100a4. for subs i m using 3 JL audios connected to another rockford amp. I used the speaker level input from the sub amp to connect the subs.

If you would like more info, drop me an e-mail at either:
ekw@usc.edu
krimlan@aol.com

PS My next step is to replace the symphony head unit with, THE RS4 nav head unit, all i have to do is fine the little bastard.
Old 11-29-2000, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How do you like the 4's up front?

I keep reading that people have used 5 1/4's and that 4's wouldn't sound very good.

Impressions??

TIA!
Old 11-29-2000, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you have to decide between asthetics or acoustics.
Old 11-29-2000, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have some Polk Audio components with 4" woofers. I like em a lot....but

I liked the mids I got out of the 6.5 door speakers that I put in my old ranger. I personally wouldn't switch to anything but taht size (which I can't do in my A4) for better mids.
Old 11-29-2000, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My 4' Xtant comp kinda lacks mid-bass..so now i regret that i should have got 5.25 MB Q...

I still runnin stock head unit....with..
Front speaker:Xtent 4.25 Componet System
100*2 watt Planet Audio Amp for front speakers
Rear speaker:Certin Vega 6.25 two way speaker powered by stock amp...(rear stage not important~)
10in. Diamond sub powered by Planet Audio Amp(300w*1).
yeah it's kinda weired setup...but..those Xtent are super super clear and i had very good deal on them...

I'm seriously thinking about getting after market headunit....i think i can get alot more from aftermarket headunit with current system....but i wanna keep the factory look....
Old 11-29-2000, 10:38 AM

Default Check out what Mark P did...

he recessed his new head unit and built a dummy unit off of a old factory head unit, so it still looks stock. it looks pretty sweet. just a thought<ul><li><a href="http://www.drive.to/marksa4">http://www.drive.to/marksa4</a</li></ul>
Old 11-29-2000, 12:33 PM

Never liked BA...Try Focal $$$
Old 11-29-2000, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default epoxied my focals to the door panels with MBQ adapters...(more)

I plan to keep the car a long time and/or don't care about removing the focals if and when i sell the car in a few years.

but here's what i did:
after mounting the MBQ adapters and fitting the focals 5.25 drivers, and listening to them, they seem a bit weak on mid bass (wished 6.5s fit) so i epoxied the units together further eliminating sound leakage from the brackets and dynamat-ed the surrounding area, door panels and it sounds fabulous now. I have a stock headunit (debating to go Aftermarket) PPI6600 amp and IDQ 12in sub.
Old 12-03-2000, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wow, I'm glad you posted that !

I have the Focal 5.25" speakers, and I had them epoxied to the door panels as well, using the MBQ adapters. When I saw Mark P's system I regret having them epoxied because Mark trimmed down his adapters, and I thought I should do that too.

But from the start I was REALLY impressed with the mid-bass response from my system. Since you compared the Focals with and without the epoxy I am now glad that I went that route.

What did you do with the tweeters ? Where/how are they mounted? What did you set the XOver to?

I think the speakers are good, but my installation still needs some tweaking.

-- Peter