Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sitting here thinking....sorry its long(lol)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sitting here thinking....sorry its long(lol)

im sitting here thinking of how to improve my sound system with a few tweaks. so my system right now is hooked up as follows..
front door speakers are ran off of my amp in the trunk, my rear deck speakers are ran off of the reciever, and i had my subs ran off of my amp as well. But in thinking about it(because i wasnt the one who hooked all of the audio in my car, it was like that when i bought it) since i installed my new reciever (Kenwood KDC MP535u) my rear deck speakers havent worked, and ive tried everything i can think of settings and all, i even ran new wiring for them to my reciever and soldered it in(oh and they did work when the old reciever was installed and arent blown) so i have a 4 channel 480watt boston acoustic amplifier,front 5 1/4 inch speakers, rear 6 by 9's and two 10 inch MTX subs, what would the best wiring scenario be in order to connect everything and get the best sound? connect the front,rear, and subs to the amp? i do have an extra set of pre-outs on my stereo, is their maybe a way to connect the rear speakers through them? and my last idea is i saw the wirig technique called series wiring where you connect the positive to the negative of the other sub and then the leftover negative and positive to the amp in bridged mode,but ive never connect them like this, is this a good way

please help, becauase i dont wanna go spend my day laying in my trunk if im not gonna gain anything or fix my rear speaker problem

any input is greatly appreciated
Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The rears shouldn't really contribute to yourn overall sound quality.

They are pretty much only for back seat passengers and should be faded so that you can't hear them in the front. So I would just leave the scheme that you got alone.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You only really run subs in bridged mode, twice the power to a single sub from a 2ch amp

If you have 2 subs and only 2 channels spare then there's no advantage in bridging unless the amp is 2 ohm stable when bridged (unlikely) and you can then run the 2 subs in parallel to provide a single 2 ohm load (assuming the subs are 4ohm each). This will double the power again so for example:
2 x 100wrms amp into 4 ohms
1 x 200wrms bridged into 4 ohms
1 x 400wrms bridged into 2 ohms.
Even if the amp is stable bridged into 2 ohms, I'm not sure how this would effect the front components as they are running off the same amp. None of the above has anything to do with sound quality, it's all about power delivery, so if you don't need more power then leave everything as is.
But yes I'd leave the rears. If you really want them working, what did you solder the wires into on the HU? The HU has it's own 4 x 22wrms internal amp, presumably it uses a standard ISO plug for front & rear speakers. The new speaker cable you ran needs to connect to the outside pairs of wires on this connector (the 2 inside pairs are for the fronts, which you're not using as they're seperately amped). Also many hi spec HU's have the ability to turn off the internal HU amp, so you need to check that this is turned on otherwise you won't get anything on the speaker output of the HU.
Also check the channels for the sub are connected to the sub RCA's, so the spare RCA's you have should be the ones for the rears.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 AM

Default rear pre-outs

well, i soldered the rears into the left and right rear speaker wires in the stereo wiring harness, and the front left and right speaker wires in the harness are left alone becuase of them being ran from the amp, they are ran off of the front pre-outs and the subs are ran off of the sub pre-outs, therefore i have the rear pre outs left over. Thats why i thought there would be a way to run my rears off of my amp and run them to my reciever through the Rear Pre-outs, unless there is a way to solder the RCA left & right (blue and red) ends to the speaker wire ran for the rears then just plug them into the rear pre-outs? because it sounds pretty good when im sitting in the drivers seat, but when i went and sat in the back seat with my stereo on all i heard was bass over powering the front speakers because the subs where closer to me then the front door speakers, thats why i want to get the rears working as well

thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can't connect RCA's directly to speakers, they need an amp in between

As I said have you checked that the internal amp on the HU is switched on?
Who cares what it sounds like in the back anyway?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: You can't connect RCA's directly to speakers, they need an amp in between

lol,yeah i did check, its switched on

and i would feel the same way if it were just me driving around all the time, but i have freinds in the car with me allot and like i said when they are in the back seat and all you can hear is bass it kinda sucks. I mean i love the new head unit i put in, but i hate the fact that i cant get the rear speakers working
the other one i had connected the exact same way, but the rears fronts and subs all worked perfectly. thats why i want to figure out a way to connect them to the amp and or the preouts, so that i can have everything working. i mean its kind of a waste to have brand new JL speakers mounted in the rear deck of my car and not be able to use them

i just dont get it

thanks again
Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Default just found this out if it helps at all....

alright, i was in my car installing the new trim pieces that i made for around my stereo and shifter, and i accidentally fliped the rocker switch that i installed in my dash for the stereo. When i flipped it off (so that the amp turns off) the only place sound came out of was the rear speakers, but when i flipped it back on( so the amp was back on) the rears turned off and my fronts and subs turned on like they are usually. So does this help at all in solving my problem. this is why i think i need to run my rears off of my amp, but i dont know how ill run them to it? becuase i if its a setting in my stereo i have no idea what setting it is, ive went through every sigle setting that i know of, looked in my manual and even called Kenwood's tech line with no avail

does this help?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why have you installed a switch that turns the amp off?

When you have a perfectly good "remote on" feed from the HU that will do it for you?
I would check the wiring at the back of the HU as something is definately wrong. I can't think of any fault or wierd wiring that would cause the internal amp in the HU to switch off when the amp is switched on.
Are you sure the rears aren't working, they may be just so down on power compared to the fronts that you can't hear them. That HU only has 22wrms going to the rears.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Why have you installed a switch that turns the amp off?

well i had it installed with my old head unit so that if i had someone in the car with me, say my grandmother or something that i could turn off my system and just have the radio on coming through the four speakers, so it would resemble stock stereo systems. but yeah im pretty sure that all the wiring is correct. becuase all that i have connected is power, ground, remote lead, illumination, rear speaker left adn right, all the norms for a car stereo, and then i have my amp connected to my reciever through the RCA preouts. with the Fronts connected to a noise deadener so i dont get engine noise or road noise through my speakers( i cant remember waht is called exactly, but im sure u know what im talking about)lol

so thats why im stumped because im wondering if my front speakers werent connected to the amp would they not work as well? or if the rears are really low would they be too? so i think if there was a way to connected all the speakers in my car to the amp i think id be in good shape, but i just dont know how i would go about doing it

or what to do at all for that matter

lol
thanks