Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is someone kind enough to help me on subs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is someone kind enough to help me on subs?

I need to uninstall my sub and amp on my B6 A4 to install them to my friend's TT. I am looking for an instruction or something that can guide me though... can you please give me a link or instruction??

Thank you~~!!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is it an aftermarket sub or the useless piece of Audi junk?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Is it an aftermarket sub or the useless piece of Audi junk?

It is an aftermarket sub...
My local audio shop charges me $250..
i am trying to save some money by doing it myself
please help~!!
Old 01-30-2005, 12:23 PM

Default umm...my advice is figure out how the wires were run when it was first installed

then just take them out. just make note of which wire was connected where on your amp and you should be able to install it in the tt pretty easily
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you had a good "standard" install

the easy way

unplug all the wires to your sub and amp. tell your friend to buy a new wiring kit and run his own wire and give him the sub and amp.

if you want to save the wiring(god knows why) UNPLUG THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON THE BATTERY. especially since you dont seem to have any installation experience.

if you want to save the wire(again why) i would start with your signal. if your rca is being run toward the passenger side of the trunk, they tapped your stock amp. (most likely if you dont have an aftermarket head unit)

pull the carpeting on that side and you should be able to unplug it. to take out the carpeting, you have to take out your carpeting that covers the spare and the spare. look in the spare wheel well and there are 2 bolts that hold the plastic piece in place. undo those bolts and pull up hard on the plastic piece and it'll pop off.

then undo the cargo net hooks on the passenger wall. those are 2 torx screws each, i think #20 or 25

then you have to take out the backseat. there are two clips that attach the backseat one on the passenger side one on the driver side. get a firm grip on the front of the passenger side of the seat and yank up hard. you'll hear a "pop". go to the other side of the car and do the same thing. once you unclick both sides the seat should just come out with a firm tug

then you have to fold both backseat uprights down. pull the passenger side where its connected in the middle. once it unhooks, slide the passenger side up and over the driver seat rear seat. this will allow you to pull the trunk liner off and access the stock amp.

this is where they probably tapped the signal for the sub. pull wiring out and the line level converter. if they disconnected your stock sub from the amp you should reconnect that.

they might have tapped your remote wire from here too(light blue wire). you can take that out now also.

now look for your ground. its probably connected to a seatbelt bolt under the rear seat somewhere. undo that bolt and pull the ground wire out. put the bolt back in.

the power wire should be run from the battery. you'll be able to see which side it was ran from. when you pull the seats. if its not too thick you can just pull it out from under the door sills with a little force. if the power was run from the driver side, you'll have to remove the lower panel from under the steering column. there are 6 hex bolts i think. if it was run from the passenger side, you'll have to remove the glove box. i think there are 4 or 5 hex bolts, with some of them actually inside the glove box.

after you get all the bolts you can pull the panel under the steering column out. then pop the hood and remove the rubber strip between the engine and the battery. then you'll be able to pull that panel out. check to see where it was run through the firewall. you should be able to just pull the wire out with a firm tug.

should be pretty self explanatory from there. just undo the fuse and the power connector to the battery and pull all the wiring out.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Before you do anything, disconnect the thick power cable from the battery

or take the fuse out if you don't plan on taking the cable with you. It should be obvious which one this is as it won't look stock and will have a big inline fuse very near the battery. With this disconnected all the wiring will be safe to disconnect at the amp.
If you are leaving the wiring then make sure it is all taped up and won't short on anything.
You can get a new wiring kit for $30 so it's probably worth leaving it, someone inheriting the car will be very grateful.
Trace back the RCA leads to see where they tapped into the Audi loom, (normally the rear pre-outs going to the rear amp in the boot).
If they bodged it then they probably just used a line level converter off the rear speakers, or used the high level input on the amp (if it has one) which is very lazy.
Disconnect the additional wiring and reconnect anything that was obviously disconnected from the stock unit.