Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sq5 Amp install with B&O

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sq5 Amp install with B&O

I'm planning on installing a subwoofer and Amp to replace the crap factory one. I was going to do it myself, but figured for giggles I'd check what local shops are charging and most want around $300 just to install the amp, which is much more than I've ever paid for that. Are these more difficult than typical due to something with the b@o system, or are these shops just pricey? I know sometimes with a factory amp the signal needs to be toned down before going into the new amp, but even that isn't that expensive to do
Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

$300 seems cheap. So cheap, in fact, that I'm actually surprised.

The audio shop I use charges $90 per hour for labor, but they do things right. All wire connections are carefully soldered, heat shrunk, color-coded with tech flex, and tied down every 6 inches. All ground points are stripped to bare metal, properly terminated and then painted over to prevent corrosion.
They never use wood except for sub enclosures. All of my speaker trim rings are custom routed from 3/4" acrylic, for example.

To integrate with that B&O system they are going to have to tap the subwoofer output from the factory amp and convert the signal to line level. Some amplifiers have that option built in, otherwise you would need a line output converter like AudioControl or JL Audio make.
The B&O amp also has internal DSP processing going on, and there might be some work involved to overcome the challenges that might present.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm using a jl hx300/1 Amp that can accept high level input. Do you think it's safe to run the subwoofer signal directly into the amp? Am I at risk of frying the new amp or sub or will the amp modulate the input signal?

Also, stock is dual 8ohm. Does that present a challenge?

I have experience doing amp installs, but never coming from a factory amp so I'm trying to check if I'm over my head for this or just need to do some more research first
​​
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

If the amp accepts high level, then you should be fine running the OEM amp output to it. That's what it's designed for.

The only question will be whether the B&O DSP inside the amp is doing anything wacky to the subwoofer signal. That's a question that I can't answer without seeing measurements.
I am able to take measurements myself, but it's not a simple task to explain to someone who hasn't done it before. It also requires specialized measurement equipment.

I would expect a high end audio shop to have the gear necessary to analyze the B&O signal, which is another reason to seek professional assistance.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you think it's safe to run the subwoofer signal directly into the amp? Yes
Am I at risk of frying the new amp or sub...? No
Also, stock is dual 8ohm. Does that present a challenge? No. Your aftermarket amp will see the resistance of the aftermarket sub. So if your aftermarket sub is rated at 4 ohms, the aftermarket amp will see 4 ohms.

and i certainly agree with subterFUSE's remarks about DSP. the stock amp is definitely processing the signal based on volume. as volume goes up, the sub frequencies get whacked (among other things). i did a sub install on my '17 S3 and my '14 SQ5. i haven't looked into a sub install on my '18 SQ5, but the simple install (no DSP defeat) i did on my old SQ5 was the easiest install i have ever done. everything you need was in the trunk area - the battery is there for power, i used the battery tie down as a ground, speaker wire for stock sub used for aftermarket amp input, and i used the lighter socket for remote turn on.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a small high end custom shop that is a cheap price plus other parts you need to install esp if you change full B&O you would use first 2 items below a sub amp the last item plus you want to use a place that has done previous work on high end vehicles before thats pretty much avg price on new accords all new cars have very integrate modules these days do your home work before you go some where and paying more usually gets you better wires connectors seamless running of wires to replicate factory
Audio Control AC-LGD Load Generating Device
Audio Control MATRIXPLUS 6-Ch Line Driver
Audio Control LC2I 2-Ch Converter
Old 03-07-2019, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Since this unit has High-Level inputs, do you really need a line converter?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sergio ramos
Since this unit has High-Level inputs, do you really need a line converter?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Redtube Beeg Spankbang
Old 03-19-2019, 12:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yea it’s best too

we are using A new piece at my shop at and I love it it works on all the new cars it’s amazing a lot easier than audio control pieces it is called wavtech link 8
wavtech.com
Old 04-28-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have experience doing amp installs, but never coming from a factory amp so I'm trying to check if I'm over my head for this or just need to do some more research first
Nox Happy Wheels VLC

Last edited by aramko aramko; 04-28-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Sq5 Amp install with B&O