Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 2 of install complete: need assistant debugging a "shhhhhh" type of hiss

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 2 of install complete: need assistant debugging a "shhhhhh" type of hiss

Everything is grounded properly, power/remote turn on down left side, RCAs/speaker wire down the right side.

When I hit the back seat I cross the power wire over to the opposite side of the trunk, as I do the RCAs/speaker wire. Reason for this is the amps power connectors are on the other side of the trunk than the side the power runs down. I can flip the amp around but it's installed this way because of the logo 9so you look at it properly when trunk is open). When I move the amp to a rear deck position, this wont really matter.

So anyway, under the seat, the power and RCAs corss over each other in a + formation twice.

The sound I have is similar to when you crank a PA system. It's not a buzz, not a humm, but a "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound that you only hear between tracks on a CD, or when people are talking on the radio. When music plays, its not as audible.

This is my first car with components (Diamond HEX s500a) so I'm not sure if my other car had this problem, because I was using cheapo Infinity RS series Coaxes that were not very good speakers to begin with.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 04-22-2002, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are your gains set too high on the amp? If not, does adjusting them affect the hiss?
Old 04-22-2002, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default gains for the diamonds were set almost to the max, I turned them to halfway

which makes me turn the stock symphony HU up a few more clicks to get equal volume, but the hiss is still noticeable, however, not as much.

I havn't tuned the system or set the gains the 'book method' (turn stereo 3/4" volume, set gains, blah blah.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try to isolate the source. Disconnect the RCAs at various points to try to pinpoint the source.

Also, are you running a stock HU? I am getting engine whine through mine and I believe that the source may be the Blau adapter. I think the adaptor does not shield the remote lead from the speaker leads enough.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default am using the blau adaptor...

Many others are as well but aren't having problems it seems.

I could be running into power issues where my RCAs and power cables cross.. Probably try turning my amp around as thats one of the easiest things to do since nothing is secured down.

Any idea of what would work to wrap the remote turn on lead to isolate it? It's real low voltage (like 3v).. maybe some tin foil?
Old 04-22-2002, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah - going to try foil. I suspect the blau b/c my system was running fine

(no engine whine) for two weeks with the HU just perched in the dash. I didn't push it in and lock it in place b/c I don't have my own removal tools and its a PITA to get someone to pull it for me. Anyway, like I said it was fine for two weeks when I decided to push the radio all the way into the dash. As soon as I did this, the engine whine kicked in! Each RCA connection was individually wrapped in a rubber shrink tube and electrical tape. But something shifted or crimped when I pushed the HU in to make the whine start up....
Old 04-22-2002, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: am using the blau adaptor...

I'm using the blau adapter and have a little bit of background hiss as well. I really haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out, I always just assumed the stock head unit was to blame.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Try to isolate the source. Disconnect the RCAs at various points to try to pinpoint the source.

I seriously doubt the turn-on lead is causing the problem. The most common source of alternator while is a ground loop problem, so double check your amp's ground point (I've used the seat belt bolts under the rear seat) and make sure to isolate the amp's chassis from the vehicle's chassis (for example, mount it to a board and mount the board to the car).
Old 04-22-2002, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default im gonna have to try pulling mine completely out..

Right now it's not snapped it, but in 98% of the way. I did not wrap the RCAs so it's possible one of them is touching a metal piece and that is a culprit.

Also going to have to redo my ground point. It's an adequate point, but I'm not 100% happy with it.

Going to probably pull the trigger on an AudioControl OVERDRIVE for $120. Will give me true 8v preout.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. The entire system is ground welded to the chassis under the rear seat. Speaker and power

lines are run down seperate sides of the car. Amps are mounted to oak board.

The whine started only when the HU was pushed the last 1cm to lock it into place (see post below).

Quick Reply: Stage 2 of install complete: need assistant debugging a "shhhhhh" type of hiss