Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealthbox/Amp + Rear doors read

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealthbox/Amp + Rear doors read

I know that most people aren't impressed with the JL Stealthbox, but it seems like a good setup to me considering I keep deciding not to go all out like Mark P's and I dont want a box sittin in my trunk. I assume this box will provide some good bass for listening, but on occasion if I wanted does this setup push out any 'you can hear me coming' type bass? Would it be advisable to install some coax in the rear doors and seperates in front (just wondering...how would 5.25" coax sound in front would it improve on the factory?)

What amps are suggested to juice the front and the stealthbox? I was thinking 50x2 for front and 150-200x1 for the stealthbox now what amps do this? Thanks
Old 08-08-2000, 05:32 PM

You've got mail!
Old 08-08-2000, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Stealthbox/Amp + Rear doors read

The Stealthbox is a nice compromise for someone who wants to add some bass, but does not want to give up too much trunk space, and does not plan to compete or play the bass TOO loud.
If you want the "you can hear me coming down the street" kind of bass, then you'll need an enclosure. The Stealthbox is actually really quiet outside the car.
However for listening to music INSIDE the car (and that's what we REALLY want it for, right?) it is pretty decent. I haven't metered how low it will go (in Hz), or how loud it will go.
But I listen to a wide variety of musical styles, and sometimes I like to turn it up.
With 300w going to the Stealthbox, it suits my needs quite nicely. It is nice and tight for acoustic music (jazz, soft rock, etc.), and plenty punchy for the techno and dance music.
And plays loud enough to be irritating before it starts to distort.

I am running the Stealthbox in mono. My previous amp was an ADS 40x4 which bridged to 120 or 160.
It was just not enough to drive the Stealthbox.
Several people have used PPI 50x4 amps, which bridge to 200w to drive the sub, and have had good results.
I bought a Phoenix Gold 75w X 4 which bridges to 300w to drive the sub. I am quite pleased with it. I also have the Xover frequency set to 70Hz at 24dB/octave, and it works for just about all styles of music.

And the best part is that I can still fit two golf bags in my trunk !

-- Peter
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 08-09-2000, 10:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I listen to rap/hip hop I know this isn't a big bass system but you cant hear any outside?
Old 08-12-2000, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Stealthbox/Amp + Rear doors read

I don't listen to much rap/hip hop, but sometimes I'll put a few songs on the radio. My friend also has a bunch of hip hop CDs he likes to play in my car stereo. (JayZ, Dr Dre, etc.)

The Stealthbox will definitely not "boom" like a large enclosure. You're not going to **** off the neighbors 2 blocks away.
However, with a good amp, you can definitely play the music plenty loud in the car.
My ADS 40wX4 crapped out with loud bass. But my Phoenix Gold 75wX4 seems to drive the Stealthbox much more effectively.

If you want to listen to music INSIDE your car, the Stealthbox will be just fine.
If you want it to be loud OUTSIDE the car, sell your Audi, get a Honda Civic or Toyota Corrolla, and get an enclosure for your sub.
(Yes, you can put a box in an A4 and have it boom outside the car. But the image just does not fit with a classy car like the A4.)

--Peter