Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo noob question about Bose

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo noob question about Bose

So I drive a 96 A6 avant, with the Bose stereo that has the two little subs in the trunk. I've heard rumors/searched forums for info on cutting a certain ground wire to make this system sound better. Only problem is I'm stereo retarded, and wires scare the bejesus out of me. Can anybody translate this procedure into stupid for me? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you really want the system to sound better, you'll need to replace the ..

main speakers in the car.

Get rid of the 12 year old weak BOSE crap and replace them with some decent aftermarket speakers.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default as long as all the speakers work, keep the system and add an amp and a 10" sub

It's relativley simple. All you need to do is get a few items and that's it. I took apart the sub, hooked up a low level rca converter to the speaker wires in the box, hooked up an amp to the car (+,-,remote), ran the rca out to the amp, got a 10" sub and hooked that up to the amp. Sounds amazing! I have the clarity of the interior specific bose system with heart pounding bass when I want it, which is all the time. You will never achieve that kind of sound fidelity with an after market system, no matter how much money you spend. If you don't know how to install things, go to a reputable stereo shop and they will do it for you. Don't let anyone tell you that bose is no good. They don't make systems for $50k + cars for nothing :P
Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM

Default I don't know about that

I agree with you about getting a new sub but no one on this site is going to agree with you about keeping 12 year old speakers. One of the main reasons,(and I think the only reason)Bose has been successful is that they have done great with their marketing schemes. That being said I just got done replacing my entire system and the difference between the old and new system is huge. I dont blame you if you want to save some money but you system will not sound that much better if the speakers are 12 years old.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're kidding me right?

"<i>I have the clarity of the interior specific bose system with heart pounding bass when I want it, which is all the time.</i>"
Let me stop you here. Heart pounding bass out of a 10" woofer? I work in car audio, and have never heard "heart pounding bass" come out of a single 10" woofer. The correct comment would be "an added 10 inch woofer adds nice frequencies that the BOSE system lacks."

"<i> You will never achieve that kind of sound fidelity with an after market system, no matter how much money you spend.</i>"
Have you ever heard of the phrase "No Highs, No Lows; must be BOSE"? While the factory BOSE system you rave about is good enough for the majority of the crowd, it is scoffed at in EVERY audiophile circle. Not sure what your experience level is with 12v audio, but there is some VERY nice setups. I had the opportunity today to do a professional review on the new Audi R8 Bang &amp; Olufson system. While the dynamic range and tonal balance was very nice, the imaging was terrible and therefor scored it a 3.

It's unfair to give false advise that is purely based on opinion. The question you responded to was regarding the earth wire commonly found in the newer symphony and concert series headunits, not asking opinions on the different methods to upgrade the bass.

I urge you to please visit your nearest car audio retailer and see what is currently available.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default In a 12 year old car I ain't replacing nothin that ain't broken.

I just heard this was a quick and dirty way to make the system sound a bit better.