Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

subwoofer cabinet direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer cabinet direction

I've made a mockup of a subwoofer cabinet that looks similar to the one on Crutchfield, but is a sealed box. I've test-fitted it in my A4, and I left enough room that when I fiberglass it and add vinyl it'll be snug. It's going to sit up high under the rear deck with 2 10" Decware woofers pointed down towards the floor. I'm making it a 2 cubic foot sealed box for SQ. I have the option to angle the speakers either as a pair, or individually, or point them straight down. If angled, I could get maybe 15-20 degrees off-axis from a straight down approach.

Any suggestions as to how I should angle the speakers to sound best? I'll post pics of the install when I finish. So far, I think I've made a pretty good template to work from. I made the box from cardboard pieces, and tightly covered the entire thing in aluminum window screen. When I fiberglass a layer over it, I'll pop it out the cardboard and measure the volume. I'll make the bottom after adjusting for any additional volume I need. It was pretty complicated, but fits really nicely.

Thanks

-J
Old 03-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Unless you plan on listening from the trunk...

...why not fire the subs through the rear deck instead of back into the trunk? You'll just be fighting the car's acoustics (well sealed trunk) to get nice bass into the cabin.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: subwoofer cabinet direction

If the box is ported point the subs at the back of the trunk and the ports at the rear deck. Then cut away at the rear deck to allow free flowing air from the sub ports into the cabin of the car.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:05 PM

Default ideal mount is firing straight towards the back of the car

i read a very detailed article that went into a lot of acoustics and how the sound actuall travlles. The person that wrote this tested firing up, down, back, and forward and found rear was the best.