Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symphony II w/ Bose & DICE for iPod - poor audio quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symphony II w/ Bose & DICE for iPod - poor audio quality

I've been reading around the forums, and it sounds like some of you really know your stuff when it comes to upgrades/mods to Audi factory sound systems, and I was wondering if you could help guide me in the right direction here. First off, I've got a 2004 Audi S4 with a Symphony II Bose system (also have a Sirius tuner (not used) and the CD based Nav System). I also purchased a DICE unit/harness to hook my iPod up to the factory headunit. Well, here are my observations of my setup so far. Ever since I've owned the car, if I play CDs out of the stock Symphony indash changer, I notice that the sound is pretty dull... lacking highs (treble turned all the way up), but has decent bass. After I installed my iPod connector, and switch over to the DICE/CD changer, its almost the exact opposite results. Very high highs, negligable bass, and lower overall volume. I've tried messing with settings to no avail. Even tried getting a new DICE unit and harness, but no (excuse pun) dice. I'm not that concerned with CD playing that much, since I'll be on my iPod about 99% of the time, but it just doesn't feel like I'm getting the correct audio out of this system.

So that brings me to my question... Do you have any suggestions for improving the sound quality of my overall system? As I mentioned, my main goals are to get better results from my iPod, as it just doesn't stack up against my old B5 S4 system (where I had a Symphony I with an IceLink Plus). I wouldn't rule out an RNS-E unit, if that would help significantly. If I could keep things stock, I'd prefer that since Nav isn't my first goal. Could it be issues with the way the BOSE is delivering bass to the Subwoofer? I'm just stumped, but I really need a solid sounding audio system. Thanks for your time, and looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's what I did...

I couldn't agree with you more that the stock Audi audio systems are poor at best. I upgraded my non-Bose system (the Bose is similar) and I've been very happy.

I too had a Dice module in my car for about 6 months and it sounded great with the speaker/amp upgrades I installed. I did not notice the sound quality difference you are speaking of when switching between sources. My CD's sounded very similar to my iPod.

Another thought is that you do realize that the Symphony II HU can have individual EQ settings for each source, right? If you tried that and still no luck, I'd have to wonder about your iPod or your encoding quality.

Anyway, I'm certain a few others will comment or you can search this forum for more upgrade options. Read through my write up and see if that inspires you at all.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109569">Symphony II Stereo Upgrade</a></li></ul>
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Here's what I did...

"My CD's sounded very similar to my iPod."

Was this before your upgrade? If so, was it on the muddy side or bassless side?

"Another thought is that you do realize that the Symphony II HU can have individual EQ settings for each source, right? If you tried that and still no luck, I'd have to wonder about your iPod or your encoding quality."

Yup, when on CDC I have the Bass turned all the way up, but the highs are extremely crisp and high even at 0. Dont think its the encoding, since this is the same iPod I used with my B5 without any issues like this. Almost wondering if it isn't something with the BOSE amp messing with the bass feed...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Default That's strange.

I did have my Dice module for some time before upgrading the speakers and amps. I would still say the the sound quality was very similar. I can't say that any source sounded "bassless". I would say the midrange tone of the iPod sounded different, but I can't say it sounded much worse than any source.

I never had to adjust my EQ settings like you. I only had slight adjustment differences. What iPod do you have? FYI, I have a 30g iPod Video. I would suggest maybe trying someone else's iPod to see if it sounds the same as yours (shot in the dark).

I really don't believe there is anything the Bose amp itself can be doing to mess up the sound of the iPod. All sources certainly can and usually do sound different, but not like you're describing. Something seems very strange with your iPod connection. Since you've already tried a replacement Dice module, I really don't know what to tell you...
Old 02-17-2007, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Icelink has a setting for its output level. Has your Dice got the same?

If the output is low and therefore volume likewise, it makes it hard to make anything sound right.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Icelink has a setting for its output level. Has your Dice got the same?

The DICE doesn't have any eq/gain settings if you're using the iPod adapter. Only if you're using their aux port... I've contacted DICE to see if there's an issue with their setup and my car. In the meantime, anyone have other suggestions on an iPod hookup?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that link!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 PM

Yeah, your welcome. =)
Old 03-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Fixed !

Well, after having DICE send me a few replacement units and harnesses, it looks like I finally got it figured out. For some reason, the original type of harness they kept sending me was causing the audio issues. They finally sent me a different kind (missing some pins from the original one they sent me), and it finally did the trick. My CD NAV and steering wheel controls still work fine, but I don't have satellite radio to test if I lost that functionality. Either way, the audio sounds great now, and I couldn't be happier with how the DICE unit functions with my Bose system. Hopefully if anyone else gets the DICE unit and has the same issues I did, they'll see this post.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Dice install this weekend- result was the exact same issue (poor audio quality)

Please tell me who you worked with over at Dice to resolve this issue- I'm hoping to reduce the amount of trail and error that you went through.