Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeddyBGame and other Navi RSN-E guys...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TeddyBGame and other Navi RSN-E guys...

Considering upgrading my bone-stock '04 allroad (December '03 delivery) from SymphonyII to the NAVI RSN-E. I have NONE of the following options: Bose, Sat Radio, Nav, Phatbox, Phone, OnStar. Just the SymphonyII.

I have lurked through the NAVPLUS.US forum, and can't find answers to the following questions:

1) My '04 allroad uses Dual K-line for diag communications. Isn't RSN-E a CAN-based system? I have Vag-Com with the Hex-USB cable (not the newer "+CAN" versions). If my Vag-com only speaks Dual K-Line, how would I select the right control module for the RSN-E? Will I need the +CAN cable to set up the dash display? Will an Auto-Scan include the new RSN-E?

2) I am quite happy with my 6-disk CDchanger that is inside the stock SymphonyII. It looks like the RSN-E has only a single DVD/CD disk slot for the NAV DVD, so I would be S.O.L. if I wanted to hear a CD and navigate at the same time, right?

And if I wanted to ADD an external 6-disk changer, I need another connector and harness to run back to the left rear wheel well, right?

3) '04 allroad has the stock shark fin antenna and it looks like it includes a GPS structure inside(from the Bently wiring diagram.) Can I take advantage of that shark fin? Should a GPS antenna lead already be pulled to behind my dash somewhere?

Sorry about the newbie questions. Just getting up the nerve to join navplus forum and jump in.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can help with some of these...

1) RNS-E uses CANbus for infotainment, not Diagnostics. The K-line will be fine.

2a) Yes SOL, but you have 2 SD slots for MP3

2b) Yes, you will need a cable to connect an external CD changer, either in the glovebox or in the rear compartment.

3) You will have a GPS antenna, but it is likely to be run to your rear compartment, not behind your headunit.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default see my sig for link to my RNS-E post for the C5 community...

most of your answers can be found there.

Consider the RNS-E as a building block for lots of other OEM options that your car was never offered.

I wouldn't worry about loosing the 6 CDC up front....if you use MP3's on a SD card or install a phatbox...you will quickly realize that audio CD's are just prehistoric....seriously. I would consider the pbox (my personal favorite)...see my sig for more info.

- pbox ($160) from Clair Parts
- CDC cable to trunk ($100)
Note: Having the CDC run to the trunk will help you with the OEM SAT tuner down the road. This is exactly why I am doing the RNS-E in my 2001 A6 Avant.

Keep in mind, yes you can play an audio CD in the RNS-E (nav DVD will be ejected)...however, the RNS-E will also play MP3's that have been burned on a CD-R (not DVD-R)...which will get you roughly 120 songs (the equivalent of 6 CD's worth).

Your '04 sharkfin should be able to support GPS, XM or Sirius. Check the rear drivers' side trunk area for those connections.

Feel free to drop me a line and we can chat off-line.

-ted
Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks.

I spent another couple of hours trolling all the embedded links in the navplus forum. So much info it is scary! You guys created an awesome site.

I'll keep digging.

Maybe we can catch up at the next Boston GTG.