Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any decent cheap speakers that I could use in my B5 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any decent cheap speakers that I could use in my B5 A4?

Not looking to spend a lot of money at all, no amps if possible. I just want something that will sound ok. I currently have a Blaupunkt San Jose that puts out 23 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels. Can I pretty much go with anything?

Just browsing through crutchfield quickly I came across these guys which seem like they fit the bill
<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bo5SwwsMjUY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=575P142C">Rockford Fosgate P142C</a>

<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bo5SwwsMjUY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=500SPS10C2">Alpine SPS-10C2</a>

<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bo5SwwsMjUY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=500SPS13C2">Alpine SPS-13C2</a>

If these sounded like a half way decent stock system I think I'd be happy. Should I go this route or should I hold off and go the component speakers and amp route? Any recommendations would be great
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Are there any decent cheap speakers that I could use in my B5 A4?

Hmm... I have some CDTech speakers that I might be removing from my B5 A4 within a couple of weeks; check back in a little while.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Are there any decent cheap speakers that I could use in my B5 A4?

Would this work? Because i too am looking for simple replacement speakers, no amp type deal. Will these fit with an adapter (such as cruchfield makes it sound like they sell there speakers with the needed adapter)?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few things to consider

1. Anything can be found cheap on e-bay
2. The entry level line of any decent manufacturer will have trickle down tech from the higher lines and can be had a pretty low prices as incentives. People tend to stay with preferred audio brands just like cars...
3. I'd suggest going with a soft dome tweeter if you're on the cheap. You may want to source raw drivers from partsexpress and use a resistor to cut the lows going to the tweeters. That's what your stock setup does now. You'll end up spending much less than a factory assembled 2-way setup and the quality will be there if you opt to go with an external amp later on. Anthing from Seas, Scanspeak, Morel, etc. will leave you smiling.
4. Cut that wattage from the HU in half. Anything more than 1/2 is distortion. That said, find an efficient speaker, somthing higher than 90db. That way you won't have to tax the HU amp to drive the speakers to satisfying levels.