Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about ways to get less rattle....will increasing air space help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about ways to get less rattle....will increasing air space help?

Umm...ok so I haven't installed any of my stereo stuff yet =( I have been waiting for my friend's uncle to finish a system so that I can get mine installed really really cheap, but its been taking forever.

Anyway, my plan was to fire my 2 12" subs towards the rear, and then have an amp wall sealed against the rear seats, so that when you fold them down you get to see the amps, Xovers, wiring, etc. Originally I thought of sealing the sub box to the trunk, so that the air from the subs *only* fire into the trunk, and then sealing the amp wall, so that the heat dissipates only into the space between the wall and the box. Then I wondered what would happen if I left a couple inches of space on each side of the box, and then drilled a bunch of holes in the amp wall... Theoretically...increasing the air space might help deaden the rattling, as well as allowing some sound to get into the cabin? Would this help? Would anything change? Waste of time? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2000, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Thinking about ways to get less rattle....will increasing air space help?

I installed a 12 inch JL w-3 sub w/ a 300 watt Phoenix Gold Amp and my trunk rattles like hell! The sub fires backwards and the amp is insalled on the seeling. First of all, the amp on the top bottom of my rear deck is a bad idea and it makes plenty of noise. However, when I put my back seat forward, the sound is about 50x better. It is louder and much more clear and crisp. Thererfor, I think that you have a good idea with the air space idea.
Old 10-26-2000, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it won't kill the rattle........

you will still have the pressure in the trunk. Putting the seats down will give you enough of a release to stop a lot of the ratling, but only dynamat is gonna really get rid of it all.
Old 10-27-2000, 02:15 PM

Default it might lessen the rattle....

the pressure won't be all stored up into the trunk. You'll have to drive around with your seats down or armrest down, to not get all the rattle. I wouldn't seal it off if your facing the subs back, kinda defeats the purpose.