Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

update on the ipod plus cable "red grommet"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default update on the ipod plus cable "red grommet"

as many have learned there is an ipod plus interface MMI cable that supports video/picture - the dreaded red grommet cable. Here are the facts and limitations:

the cable is now widely available thru your dealer, as the most recent builds of (at least) A6, A7, and A8 support it. for example I have a one month old A7, built 3/12 with latest MMI software. I borrowed the cable from the parts department. I own two ipods - a new ipod classic (6G) and a three year old ipod touch. all OS are up to date.

the ipod plus cable is not compatible with a new ipod classic (6 generation). does not work at all. the blue grommet cable works but does not support video.

my ipod touch is compatible. you can access your video folder (alas I have none). with regards to album art, here's the big disappointment.

I figured you could scroll thru album covers like in itunes or on the device - wrong. all you can do is the following. when you play a song, if you are on the "track" screen, you will see a tiny picture of the album cover to the right of the track name.

compatibility between car models, MMI versions, and ipods vary widely. this was translated from the german site:

Compatible for iPod Adapter CableCompatible for iPod with video adapter cable (part number 4E0 051 510 R or cable with red markings)

品Pod 5G (Version 1.0.2)
品Pod touch 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G (Version 3.0.0)
品Phone 1G, 3G, 3G and 4G (Version 3.0.0)
品Pad (Version 4.2.1)

Compatible for iPod adapter cable without video function (Model 4F0 051 510 K or cable with a blue marker)

品Pod mini (Version 1.3.0)
品Pod nano
品Pod 4G (version 1.2.1), iPod 5G Video, iPod classic 6G
品Pod touch
品Phone
品Pad (Version 4.2.1)

I bought the ipod classic to serve as a music hard drive for the car. no need for the touch feature, or wifi (ipod does not work when connected) but no video for the newest ipod (how f*cked up is that?)

bottom line is that if you have an iphone, and a brand new car, you are good to go, but I ask, is it worth $80 just to show small picture icons? granted you can do video (at a complete stop). I do not see the value, and, the more I think of it, I prefer to drive with the MMI screen off and stowed - dashboard way more attractive that way, and frankly, it is distracting. can view ipod songs in the center dash screen

there you go.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an A7 last week. How can I find out if its got an MMI system version that will support the red cable?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also where did you get the list of compatible iPods and how can I find out if my 160GB aluminum backed iPod is comptabile? Sounds like maybe not after all.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dewdman42
Also where did you get the list of compatible iPods and how can I find out if my 160GB aluminum backed iPod is comptabile? Sounds like maybe not after all.
Based on the Audi site in Germany http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa... iPod devices.

iPod nano 5G (ab Version 1.0.2)
iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPad (ab Version 4.2.1)

No iPod Classics will work with the red cable, they only work with the blue cable which means as of right now any model iPod classic is worthless for video use with any MMI. Iphones work fine, however make sure you have Bluetooth streaming music option turned off before trying to watch anything (the telephone feature can still be connected through bluetooth however, just streaming audio off)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Just when you think you have it all figured out - guess what? New iPhone5 will require a new cable.,
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
Just when you think you have it all figured out - guess what? New iPhone5 will require a new cable.,
It just requires the Lightning Adapter to go to the 30 pin format. Available in October.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaudiA7
I figured you could scroll thru album covers like in itunes or on the device - wrong. all you can do is the following. when you play a song, if you are on the "track" screen, you will see a tiny picture of the album cover to the right of the track name.
You can go into scrolling album view mode, as you can with the SDHC cards and from the Jukebox.

The red cable part number is not listed in the US. Instead you need to get the audio cable kit, which includes the red cable and a usb cable for $132 list. Part number 4F0-051-510-S.

There is also an adapter to input separate audio and video (analog) part number 4F0-051-510-N

Also a 3.5 mm jack plug for just audio (analog) part number 4F0-051-510-T
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aeroburn
Based on the Audi site in Germany http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa... iPod devices.

iPod nano 5G (ab Version 1.0.2)
iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPad (ab Version 4.2.1)

No iPod Classics will work with the red cable, they only work with the blue cable which means as of right now any model iPod classic is worthless for video use with any MMI. Iphones work fine, however make sure you have Bluetooth streaming music option turned off before trying to watch anything (the telephone feature can still be connected through bluetooth however, just streaming audio off)
Ipod touch 3rd gen with red gromet cable and 566 software does not work. Nor does the 1 st gen ipod touch. neither play music either.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fithian
It just requires the Lightning Adapter to go to the 30 pin format. Available in October.
but that wont' play videos supposedly.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting your findings. I was pretty disappointed when my new 2013 Q5 would not display my album art.

I want the full features of my entertainment system. I think it is BS that I have to pay an additional $130 to get the full features. Frankly, Audis should have a USB interface (or several) and the vehicle has the brains to properly detect a series of devices and memory formats. Most after market stereos have been able to do that for years and are cheaper than the freaking cable that Audi is trying to sell here.

For a luxury vehicle with supposedly high end tech, I am constantly surprised at how behind the curve most auto entertainment systems are.

Quick Reply: update on the ipod plus cable "red grommet"