Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade for stock audio in Audi A4, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade for stock audio in Audi A4, 2003

Some questions for all you car audio experts out there. I find my current (none Bose) audio rather bland sounding, basically un-involving or "musical". I am trying to find out the most cost-effective way to improve things a little by maybe spending around $500.

From reading other threads in this forum, it seems installing an external amp is the best option rather than replacing the speakers. But first I'd like to understand what I have already before trying to change anything.

The stock system contains speakers in front and back doors plus a sub woofer and a so-called center fill. So is my head unit providing PA output for 5 or 6 channels? How is that center fill powered, by a separate channel or a mix of the others? Or is there already an external PA which powers all the speakers and the head unit just provides pre-amp outputs?

So....if I wanted to install a new PA would I buy 5 or 6 channel version and where should I install it? Where does the Bose amp go if the option was installed? Would I be lucky enough to find all the wiring and mounts already there for my new amp?

I do not want the system to be any louder, or to be more bassy, just better and a little more solid.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Julian
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 PM

Default $500 ... go buy yourself an iPod ...

...to power C, LF, RF, LR, RR, S speakers you are going to need a 6 channel amp. On top of that, the factory deck is not going to give you the eq / crossover adjustments you are going to need to make the stock speakers sound better than then do right now.

The center channel is powered off the left and right front speakers which are powered off the deck. The rear speakers have an amp in the truck that powers them.

Don't waste your money if you are just replacing your amp and not going to replace the speakers (now or in the future) as well along with some kind of crossover / eq setup.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Upgrade for stock audio in Audi A4, 2003

i am having the same problem as you.. there just isn't enough power in the stock systemm..
i so wish i went for the bose upgrade ....
oh well.. i might just ask the dealer...
Old 10-21-2003, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For $500? Get two pairs of decent components.

The stock speakers are crap. They are plastic basket paper cones. They are $20 a pop at the dealership. The only thing they're good for is to make spacers out of them for some decent speakers.

But honestly, $500 is not a budget many car stereo shops would consider working with. If I were you I'd get two pairs of Infinity reference components for $110 a pair from www.ikesound.com and some 4x50W RMS amp for about $250. That would be a decent upgrade from the rubbish crap the stock setup is.

Don't forget to add some money for the 4AWG wiring and the other stuff. I spent over $150 just on wires for my setup. My speakers were close to $800 for the two pairs of Focal polykevlar components, but I think they were the best $800 I have spent.

If you haven't seen my install check it out at <A HREF="http://members.sounddomain.com/gtakacs">http://members.sounddomain.com/gtakacs</A>
Old 10-26-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: $500 ... go buy yourself an iPod ...

So another great idea shot down in flames, oh well...

So anybody know if it is possible to fit in the Audi Bose option as a dealer install without buying it as original equipment?

The reason I seem timid about installing 3rd party equipment is from experience I have had when trying to upgrade my old Audi 90 audio system. To call my local so called installers "butchers" would be an insult to members of that trade. I used both my local Best Buy and Goodguys and they each had a go at breaking trim,leaving marks from pliers, loosing screw fittings, untidy wire placement, it hurts to think about it again.

I am looking for a solution with less things to customise and mess up. OK, OK! I'll spend more than $500 but what's it going to take? Is it too much to hope that installing the Bose would be the less painful?

Regards
Julian
Old 11-18-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: $500 ... go buy yourself an iPod ...

BOse wont sell u the system aftermarket because they say that they cant gaurntee the quility of thge install...if you find a place to get the bose sytem let me know cause i would love it its perfect for me