Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB to OEM head Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very fair offer, sir. If you'd like me to test and report findings, email me at:

info at avincar dot com : )
Old 03-21-2007, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default How about answering these questions?

Does it support FAT32?

What's the max supported size of the media (e.g. can I use an 8GB SDHC card or 80GB USB 2.0 hard drive)?

What the max number of songs per media?

What audio formats are supported (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc.)?

Will an external CD changer (not the internal changer in a Concert / Symphony head unit) still work together with your device? If it does, how do you switch between the external changer and your device as audio source?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 PM

I will try to get you all the answers soon
Old 03-22-2007, 07:08 AM

"Do or do not, Luke..." - I'll ge them for you fast, just send it to me as you offered
Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Thank you for your assistance

I send you details via email.
In regards to file format: USB to OEM supports MP3 files only but USB to Sony radio supports additionally WMA format.
I still waiting for additional clarifications from tech support.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 AM

Default As the story continues...

So I've received an inquiry... and I don't feel it's right to publish their message, but here's the text of my reply:

I've been in the 12-volt business for over 20 years, and I've never seen anyone ask me for a credit card number in order for ME to help THEM as part of a beta tester program. I'm helping you.

I've never seen any supplier in beta tell me that if the unit I'm testing blows up the factory radio I'm testing with, I'm out of luck, and the supplier bears NO liability.

I will not sign this agreement, nor ANY agreement that involves provision of a credit card on my part, nor one releases your company from liability in the case that your device damages MY Audi radio.

I will still provide free beta testing, AND truthful and accurate reviews of the product's performance, in an Audi, to the Audi community. But come on, man. Why don't you write one that YOU would sign if the positions were reversed?

Regards,

xxxxxx

(By the way, I'd talk to "tech support" BEFORE you start pitching the thing to consumers, man...
Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default C'mon, let this guy do the testing for you...

If your stuff is as good as it ought to be, you'll get a good rap and a lot of word-of-mouth promotion and all free. If it's crap then you'll deserve it.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Answers to your questions?

Q: Does it support FAT32?
A: Yes this is supported

Q: What's the max supported size of the media (e.g. can I use an 8GB SDHC card or 80GB USB 2.0 hard drive)?
A: Yes should not be problem

Q: What the max number of songs per media?
A: You can at least put 99 on each folder and depending on Media could put more. (This depends on OEM radio limitations)

Q: What audio formats are supported (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc.)?
A: Must be saved in MP3 only format and labeled up CD1,CD2,CD3 etc (you can set IPOD to MP3 mode)

Q: Will an external CD changer (not the internal changer in a Concert / Symphony head unit) still work together with your device? If it does, how do you switch between the external changer and your device as audio source?
A: These adaptors plug in via changer control connection on radio so will loose any factory connection changer.

Best,
Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Thanks for the reply

Based on what you said I suppose that after CD6 no direct access is possible when using an Audi head unit (because the Audi head unit doesn't support more than 6 CDs on the changer port) and any further folder (CD7, CD8, etc.) would be accessible via next CD button only (if it exists on the head unit). Which leaves 6x99 songs like all the other solutions offer.

And I also suppose that showing the MP3 title on an Audi head unit is not possible either (due to the lack of support for this feature on any Audi head unit).

Using the iPod in "MP3 mode" I guess means that you will not be using the Apple iPod Remote protocol to control the iPod from the head unit but just use the dock line out (and likely charging capabilities) and control the iPod from the iPod itself.

So at the end your product is nothing new feature wise because Dension Gateway 400 and the Solisto can do the same. It's a nice all in one package though with the removal keys and USB card reader already included. To bad that it won't work with the RNS-E and any 2007 II+ generation head unit due to the new Quadlock connector that is used for those head units.