Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USPS/ebay car audio blues =( Anyone ever deal with getting insurance money back from USPS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USPS/ebay car audio blues =( Anyone ever deal with getting insurance money back from USPS?

Ok, so I am all ready to install my new system in my TT. I haven't had a system in my TT since June 2000. I got it with the BOSE(personally I think it sucks in the coupe, the roadster one is decent) because if I wanted a TT I had to get it loaded(at the time I got it anyways). I replaced the BOSE right away with parts from my jeep Cherokee system. I kept the stock BOSE headunit and changer and replaced the rest of the stock system with: BA 5.25 pro series components in the doors, an audio control 3.1 preamp/eq/xover/line driver, a rockford 6 channel amp(bridged down to 3 channels) and a dual 10" JL Audio subs. While this setup sounded great in my Jeep(with a Kenwood excelon top of the line head unit) it wasn't that great in the TT. Why? Because of the crappy BOSE headunit. I got sick of that system and sold off the parts. Leaving me to listen to my exhaust(at the time it was a borla). This was fine for the summer months, but then winter came and I decided it was time to spec out the system.
Why did I just tell you this story? So you can appreciate how long I've been without a stereo and how it seems like I will NEVER have one back in my TT!

I've got my Kenwood excelon KDC-X915, Boston 5.25" component speakers, and a 1 farad cap sitting in my closet. The Kenwood excelon 10 disc changer is sitting at Tweeter etc. waiting for my install date, as well as the wood to build my sub box. I just need an amp and a sub.

So I bid and win a unopened Xtant 603x on ebay. I send a money order for $560. The list price without tax from a local store on this amp is $999. Good deal to me. Well apparently someone from USPS stole my amp because it never showed up. It was mailed out over a month ago, December 5th via 2-3day priority mail with tracking #. I am now in the process trying to get my $1000 insurance back from USPS. No clue how long of a process that is going to be. Can anyone provide advice/deals on this?

So now my install is delayed while I wait for the amp to show up(yea right) or get the money from USPS.

To add to this a guy from this forum said he would sell me an eclipse 10" aluminum cone dual voice coil sub. He said his brother bought two and can't use them cause he crashed his car or something. So I mailed him a personal check. Now I can't speak badly about him YET, because he has not cashed my check, but he hasn't emailed me in a while telling me if he has or has not received my check yet. I am afraid my money could dissapear again.

So now it's January 2001 and I still don't have an install date, and it is looking like I won't until the end of February or March.

If anyone has advice on what to do with USPS it would be a great help, and if that person who is supposed to sell me that Eclipse sub is reading this, could you please email me. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2001, 12:04 PM
John P.

Default Sorry to hear of your woes, Jenner. However . . .

I think you'll run into problems trying to collect the $1,000 if you're only out $560 + shipping. What do you think?

John
Old 01-09-2001, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he sends me the receipt I should be ok. Waiting to hear back from him.
Old 01-09-2001, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should be Ok on value, BUT...

most carriers only want to deal with and reimburse the shipper. This may be a headache for you. WRT the value: it's quite easy and reasonable to insure something for its <b>value</b> rather than its <b>price</b>. Your homeowner's policy for example, usually is for <i>replacement cost</i> rather than purchase price. You'll probably need some kind of document showing a new unit at $1000+ in order to justify that valuation.
Old 01-09-2001, 12:34 PM

Default This sad story is the epitomizes my rant about a month ago..Find a GOOD retailer to deal with!

EBAY is great for some things, but I know several people who have bought items on EBAY and never received them. Some have received items that were not in the pictured and described condition. Notice that audio units' descriptions normally don't specify a certain unit's serial number, and they don't picture it for reference either. One of these is due to a shipping problem, but I don't know the details on that issue. It seems that audio is best bought in person. Just find a really good dealer who appreciates that fact that he will profit if he works with you. The people that I know in this area would rather reduce the usual 30-40% markup on components than lose the sale. UPS is probably attempting to locate your item, or find out who ran off with it. Call them and hassle them about it. I hope your luck improves!
Old 01-09-2001, 09:04 PM
Elder Member

Default I had to try and collect from the USPS a few years ago on lost computer equipment . . .

It took me over 2 YEARS to get the check from them! Why you might ask? According to USPS policy they need to wait 6 months to see if the package arrives, then they need to open an investigation which they said can take upwards of 6 months.

The other year was because they lost the damn case file! Luckily I knew the Post Master at my local Post Office and he got me the check, and he was only able to do that because I had a copy of every piece of paper.

For now, you will have to write off the $560.00 and spend the $1000 on the amp from Cain.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2001, 02:59 PM

Default EQ for TT Rodstr

Does anyone know if I can get into the EQ of the TT radio. Id like to change the settings, more than just the Bass and Treble