Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to add speakers to rear doors. Non-BOSE. Any pictures? Write-ups? Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 08:17 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to add speakers to rear doors. Non-BOSE. Any pictures? Write-ups? Suggestions?
Old 08-26-2002, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

only 4" there, not much room. use the rear deck instead.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:48 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Ditch the rear door speakers altogether.

Best example I can give is the following: when you go to a concert, do you stand with your back to the stage? If not, why do you want sound coming from behind you in your car, either?

I'm only running three channels - front left, front right, and sub (mono). Sounds much better, IMO. Plus, it's simpler and cheaper.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:05 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Default I feel like there's not enough fill. I don't have rear deck speakers. (m)

They had to be taken out to install the Stealthbox.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:07 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

I would if I could. Rear deck speakers were taken out to install the JL Stealthbox.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I almost got the JL Stealthbox... doesn't fit in '01 S4...

Along with the Stealthbox, my installer suggested MB Quart 5.25 for rear doors, and then he found out that there was not enough space for a good speaker (only 4"). At the same time he found out that JL SB fits only up to 99.5 model, mine is a 2001... Together we decided to go with custom enclosure in the trunk for JL subs and MB Quart 6.5 on rear deck. I had to compromise a bit of trunk space, but it's movable and I have quick connectors. I'm very happy with this setup, I will post pics soon.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:51 AM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, it can fit with some shaving and adjusting. (From what I understand...)

Glad to see it worked out nicely, though. Post pics soon! I have to get around to doing the same.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:33 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Neither do I. If you get some high quality front speakers, you'll never miss the rear fill.

My Bose speakers are all sitting in their stock locations, and I replaced the front stage with Boston Pros in the kickpanels and one Boston Pro 12 in the trunk. If I keep the crossover point low enough, the bass is omnidirectional, and has a good front presence. Maybe it's subjective, but sound from the rear is distracting to me, unless it is highly processed to create ambience. Just pumping sound from the rear without any sort of delay or processing kills the effect, IMO. You could try it and see what you think, you know... But it all depends on what you're running up front. Get something big and good, and you'll be happy.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:35 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Here's a link to what's required.

I was seriously considering it, but didn't want to lose that much trunk space.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bostonaudi.org/projects/stealthbox/">http://www.bostonaudi.org/projects/stealthbox/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-27-2002, 12:37 PM
uke
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got the JL XRs and they're awesome components.

Compared to the BOSE system, though, it feels like I'm missing fill. Dunno how to describe it. I'm gonna do some more research.

Quick Reply: Want to add speakers to rear doors. Non-BOSE. Any pictures? Write-ups? Suggestions?