Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to replace rear speaker & amp - will this setup work...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to replace rear speaker & amp - will this setup work...

I don't want to 'upgrade' my stereo, just stop the rear speakers from blowing. They've blown 3x so far. I'm going for the cheapest solution to give me the same quality of audio (premium bose 2001 s4), and not die every few months.

I was thinking of replacing the main amp with a 5 channel amp (any suggestions for a good cheap one) and the rear two speakers with two 2 ohm Image Dynamics CX6 Speakers. I'll trash the built-in-amps that go to the rear speakers.

Will this setup work? If so, can I get away with using the existing wiring? And what type of amp should I look for? Does anyone make wiring harness adaptors or do I have to make my own?

Thanks!
Reza
Old 08-25-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For cheap 5-channel amps,

Directed Electronics is pretty hard to beat, price-wise at least. i've heard good things about their mono and 4-channel amps, so i imagine the 5 channel ones would be good too. only thing is you'll probably overpower the factory sub (which i'd recommend replacing anyways, especially if you're investing in ID speakers). As far as adapters go, you'll probably want to tap the input wires from the factory amp and solder the taps onto RCA plugs which would be plugged into the amp. or you could get a line output converter, but that could have a detrimental effect on sound quality