Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of sub to upgrade the Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just because I like a particular brand......

That doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestion. Also, I wanted advice on adding a subs and amp to the existing Bose system, not building a system from scratch. How much power and what size/quality sub was really what i was looking for. Even if I do stay with JL.....what will mate better with the stock system?

Two 8W3v3 with 150 watts each? A 10W6v2 with 250 watts or 500 watts? A 10W3v3 with 250 watts? An 8W7 with ?? watts. Would a 10W1v2 actually be enough? You talk about an incomplete sound spectrum with missing mid-bass. Maybe two 8's are the way to go, sacrificing the deep bass to get a more seamless available frequency spectrum. I don't know. So, no, I wasn't looking for a pat on the back.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The cost wasn't just the equipment, but also the full custom install.....

which included a fair bit of fabrication. The install was done a Nissan 350Z roadster, and to get everything very cleanly an neatly intergrated into a 2-seater convertible, and have it not take up what little useable space there is took a little effort and creativity.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My comments are based on the B5 Bose setup. About your stereo comments.

Keepin in mind I listen to mostly punk, heavy metal, techno, and hard core rap in my car, immaging is not my main concern.

However regardless of my music choice, I don't believe in setting a propper soundstage in a car. Home, yes! Car, well, no. This not to say I don't want quality components and amplification.

Couple of reasons. First off, it's a car, you're supposed to be driving and concentrating on driving, not where musical instruments are set in your sound stage. I like to be 'enveloped' in a whole sound in the car.

This leads to my next thought, it's a car. There's road noise, other cars, wind, bumps, crappy pavement. I don't drive in a vault. All these things interfeer with the quality of the sound. I want a wholesome sound that isn't impacted by the outside world.

I totally agree with your points, I just have a different mind set. I'm more of the sensation type of person that you describe. Good stuff.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default But you don't get to define "stereo" - you just get to define what you like.

"Stereo" is already defined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo#Playing_back_stereo_recordings

Rear fill may be what you like, and that's fine - but it's not part of stereo.

And you choose genres of music which specialize in impact and sensation...and that's fine, too, but you might want to mention your narrow focus when you share your review points...