Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be the best way to spend $300?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the best way to spend $300?

I have already installed a new head unit, the Blaupunkt Casablanca, and i am looking to upgrade the overall feel of the stereo. I have a few options as I see it:

1) Subwoofer + amp - I was looking at the JL Powerwedge single 10w0 sub with an accompanying amp

2) Speakers - MBQuarts All-around

3) any other suggestions?

The system as it stands right now is accepable, but it lacks bass. I figure that if i get the JL subwoofer, that i could turn the bass down in the speakers and make the system sound better overall. What are you guys opinions on this? are there any other routes that you would suggest? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:14 PM

Default My $.02

I've done NUMEROUS stereo upgrades, and here is what I have learned.

-Wait until you have the money and get exactly what you want-

If you only have $300 (and you are pretty limited to what you can do with it) I would wait until you can put some $money$ into it. Otherwise, down the road you won't be happy with your $300 investment and will end up spending more for something nicer.

Just my $.02
Old 08-13-2001, 07:22 AM

Default I think the basslink helped all round in my stock unit

I know the electronics and speakers supplied by Audi are ordinary sounding at best, but I didnt want to go to the expense of replacing everything and besides, the head units LOOKS very well integrated with the car and duplicating that wasnt going to happen from what I saw.

I added the Infinity basslink to solve 2 significant shortcomings in the stock system. Lack of any bottom end and the very easily overloaded front speakers. By having the basslink pick up the bottom end, the fron speakers can be rolled off using the undocumented internal eq which improves their performance and that of the small amp driving them.

The system still sint going to win any audiophile or car soundoff awards but it is quite satisfying.

The basslink can be had for under $300 on the internet.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:45 AM

Default it isn't really like that...

I have more than $300...but i dont want to spend it on the car's audio system. I am not an audiophile who needs the most perfect system, i am just looking to upgrade some parts at a time for a little bit of money. I am only looking for some minor upgrades that could improve the system.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: it isn't really like that...

First, getting a sub doesn't mean you just turn bass down in front/rear speakers. Those speakers provide midbass as well. You don't need to have the bass on those speakers jacked, but in most head units, bass is systemwide. But if you're shappen to have bass levels separate for sub and front/rear, you can leave fronts and rears at midpoint as opposed to having to jack it higher.

Second, it's not about being an audiophile, it's about good sound. Most people recognize a better sound setup when they listen to it, and if they get acustom to it, won't ever want to go abck to the previous. If you never get acustom to one or the such, you really don't know the difference, so it's a moot point.

Anyways, I agree with TimeForaNewCar for the most part. $300 will buy you little in terms of just good quality equipment. You have two good ideas, but I don't see how you plan to pull off #2 with $300. The only way that is possible is getting coaxial speakers all around, which just isn't worth doing up front. They will be better then stock (bose or non-bosE) but it's dumb IMHO. MBquart separates for up front should run $300 alone, and those REALLY needed to be amp (not hte head unit) to perform properly. That's at least $450 total just for that. I recommend if you go with #2, you spend that extra $200-300 and do it right. Get a good 2-way component set (5 1/4") up front and an amp for them. You could possibly pull off a 4 channel amp and run the rear speakers off the amp, but if not, a 2 channel for the front, and the rears off the head unit is fine. The rear's should not be amajor concer. You don't drive from the back and they just provide fill more than anything when in the front seat. Many high level systems don't even use rears, as they draw sound stage to far back. Some have them switchable so rear passengers can have speakers whenever they are in the car.

The #1 option is the most likely to be possible with as close to $300, and it provides you lack of bass need. The JL 10" powerwedges are sweet. Good sub, very nicely designed boxes. I'm guessing that one runs around $150-200? You'd pay about that to buy the sub and have some guy custom build a box, although a custom built box could be designed for your trunk more appropriately.

A good inexpensive amp would be MTX. Both their series of amps provide good, clean, and underrate power. For 1 10", 100w is plenty, believe me. I have 2 10's with 100w each and I can hit 135dB ont he SPL meter. That's too loud to listen to in the car. A 35, 40, or 50x2 channel amp is plenty to power that one sub (when bridged of course). More power is better because you don't need to push the amp as hard, and of course, more volume will be capable. But if volume isn't ht eissue, getting a 50x2 over a 35x2 means you'll be pushiung the amp less to achieve same volume. Always good for the amp.

In any event. Just don't try to get to much for too little. If you ever drive in someones car who spent the extra bucks you'll probably notice how your stuff just isn't as good any more. We're only talking spending maybe 2x what you wanted to, but it will be worth it IMHO. You don't need to spend $3k, but I think you need to spend more then $300. If you spend $1000 total (including that blau you got) you can probably get nice 2-way components up front, leave hte rears stock, a 10" sub, and a 4 channel amp to run the fronts, and the sub, all with good quality stuff that.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:48 AM

Default wow, thanks for all the info!

I actually just got back from the audio store. I spoke with the guy and he said that i could get the MBQuarts for 125/pair meaing 250 total w/o installation. The JL sub i am looking at is 139 alone and 300 with a Kenwood 150Wx1 bridged amp (KAC-629S 2-channel) installed. I agree with what you are saying about spending more to get more, but i feel that with the $300 i have allocated towards the car audio, there should be enough improvement to satisfy my needs. Once again, thanks for the info you gave!
Old 08-13-2001, 04:00 PM

Default What's "undocumented internal eq"?

I think I've read this somewhere, but I forget...
Old 08-13-2001, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec56.shtml
Old 08-13-2001, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

how do I install this basslink? Does it just tap into the stock amp?
Old 08-14-2001, 04:11 AM

Default Either the rear line level inputs or the speakers

I just replied to someone trying to tap into the rear inputs, check this...

You need to run power from the battery, but that is about all the hassle.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/13002.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/13002.phtml</a</li></ul>