Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your preference for sound deadening/dampening material?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your preference for sound deadening/dampening material?

I'm trying to reduce road noise in my A4 and was wondering what people use in their set up - dynamat, accumat, cascade, brown bread, others?

Also, since I want to maximize the effectiveness of the material without it costing too much, what key areas would you recommend that the material be installed -- all sides of the trunk? all four doors? front and rear floor pan? firewall? over transmission well?

TIA
Old 11-06-2001, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor

Default Dynamat works well.

I used the original stuff years ago in my previous car. It works great, but is hard to apply and stinks like crazy. Just last week though I installed some Dynamat extreme in a buddy's car and I was pleasantly surprised. It's very easy to work with and performs pretty well. The change was dramatic, considering it was an Explorer.

To reduce road noise, concentrate on any large panels. Including the wheel well arches, and entire trunk area. Doors, floorpan, and headliner are also good locations.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cascade products...

I prefer their vinyl stuff to Dynamat which is tar based. Not as heavy as some of the Dynamat available but it doesn't stink to high hell for those first few weeks.

If I need to weight something down to prevent vibrations, I'd use the vinyl stuff. If I'm trying to get some kind of sound deadening going on I like to use the spray on stuff.

If you want to reduce road noise, start with the doors. Next would be the entire floor of the car, which is very time consuming (remove seats, lift carpet).

I'd go with spray on stuff in the doors for ease of use and sheets on the floor.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:25 PM

Default Re: What is your preference for sound deadening/dampening material?

Dynamat is the best you can buy but for a better value look for hi-temp mastic (similar to dynamat original) at www.mcmaster.com or go to your local hardware store and find rubberized undercoating spray in the car section