Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with Xovers on the A4??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the deal with Xovers on the A4??

I'll ask again for those of you that missed it last time.

Say I want to put a set of component speakers in the front of my soon-to-arrive A4. What do I do with the crossovers, in terms of wiring. I'm sure that I can find a place to mount them. The issue is whether there are crossovers already in the car that I simply replace? (My 1986 Audi has them.) Or do I need to somehow combine the signals that go to the stock components? Or are there just high and low pass filters on each speaker and they both get full range, or . . . . ????

TIA,

Todd W
Old 12-04-2000, 08:48 AM
TM

Default Todd, bypass the xovers (more)

Your component speakers will come with crossovers. You wire the amp to the crossover, then the tweeter and the midrange separately to the crossover as well. You don't use whatever crossovers are in the car.

When you refer to crossovers in your 5ktq, are you talking about the little ITT boxes that are attached to the door panels? I could never figure out what those were. My 5ktq did not have a properly functioning (or fully present) factory radio, so I didn't know what the box was for.

If you're using the stock head unit, wire directly from the head to the new component speaker crossover.

There are definitely a bunch of posts in the archives that address the installation of component speakers in an A4.

TM
Old 12-04-2000, 09:11 AM

Default So I have to rewire?

I just want to plug and play. No amps, no running more wires, nothing. I want to take the door panel off, do my work there, and put it back on.

Yes, those ITT boxes are Xovers. Mine isn't stock either, but all of the speakers are so the Xovers are still used.

Todd W
Old 12-08-2000, 01:52 AM

Default Re: So I have to rewire?

So, can someone confirm that replacing the stock component speakers in the front doors just means swapping the factory compontents (speakers + xover) for the aftermarket speakers + xovers?

No rewiring required/needed, right?

TIA,
AS
Old 12-09-2000, 07:45 AM

Default What I have learned so far . . .

This applies for the front door speakers only. There is no Xover, the stock components get full range sound. For instance, the 4" has a capacitor that acts as a filter. If you are simply replacing the speakers (many say this doesn't get you very far), then you only have to rewire within the door.

You take the signal that went to the 4", run it to the new Xover, and wire the new components into the Xover. You do not have to run new wires into the door, the Xover can be mounted inside the door.

Todd W
Old 12-09-2000, 05:13 PM
TM

Default Yes, that sounds right (more)

You won't have to rewire if you're running everything off the stock head unit's power. However, you're much better served by running an external amplifier to feed the better speakers. Otherwise, your gains may be minimal.

TM
Old 12-10-2000, 11:10 AM

Default The problem is where to put the amp(s)

They don't seem to make small ones any more. I don't want to put one in the back and run wires back and forth all over the car. I was thinking of using auto-sensing 2ch amps in each front door, but I think that they are too large and too sensitive to moisture.

I really don't have anywhere to put an amp in the back of the car anyway, unless I ditch the spare.

Todd W