Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will an Alpine CD changer and adaptor work for my 97 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2000, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an Alpine CD changer and adaptor work for my 97 A4?

Audi dealerships charge $595 for cd changer for pre-98 models. The panasonic changer cannot be used for the 97 model.
I found one dealership charging $450 because they've had it in stock for 2 years.

I was wondering if I just buy an Alpine CD changer (that is what is supposed to be what is compatible with the Delta head unit), and an adaptor, is this the same as buying a cd changer from an Audi dealership (just not packaged in an Audi box).

Thanks, Amit
Old 06-30-2000, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default As far as I know, there is no adaptor available for the Alpine changer...However...

you can check with PIE or other companies again and see..

Achen
Alpine Electronics of America
Old 07-02-2000, 10:34 AM

Default There is a way!!!

I have an alpine six CD changer in my 1996.5 A4. There are two ways that you can do this. First of all, I don't know which system you have (i.e. Delta, Symphony, Concert) but you have two options. The first option you have is to get the Alpine CD changer (I highly reccomend this), and then, for an additional $50, alpine makes an RF adapter (it is a tiny little head unit that controlls only the CD changer, and the best place to put it is on the face of he ashtray). This allows the CD changer to work, but on some cars, there is a button that says CD changer to select the changer. Instead, using this, you select a radio station, I reccomend one that doesn't come in (Low FM i.e. 87.5) and that becomes your CD changer button substitute, the changer will only work when the radio is set to that station. This may cost around $350 with the installation, but, ONLY if you know what you're doing, you can wire it yourself. Also, I don't know what the audi one costs, but alpine makes the best quality CD changers on the market, so I would get this.

Your second option would be to replace your audi head-unit with an aftermarket head-unit that has (This is very important, it must say it on the head-unit) a CD changer controller. However, if you get, for example, a sony head unit w/CD changer controller, you would get a sony CD changer. This option is convenient for one main reason. If you intend on doing more aftermarket stereo work, you will need an aftermarket head-unit anyway. So if you plan on changing your stock speakers, or installing subs, then this is the way to go. If not, I would go with the first option.
Old 07-02-2000, 06:35 PM

Default Re: There is a way!!!

Thanks for your advice.

Isn't the sound quality worse if you have to tune in to a radio station?
If I just buy an Audi CD changer, and install it myself, that would only cost anywhere from $300 to $450, depending on the cost of the CD changer.
Wouldn't this be better than going through buying an Alpine CD changer, adaptor, and tuning to a radio station.

I do like your advice about the head unit though.
Then I could upgrade speakers and such.

Thanks, Amit
Old 07-03-2000, 08:30 AM

Default 96 A4 in the same situation.

i cant figure it out. the audi unit is expensive and then again a new head unit wouldnt look that great. the fm adapter dosent sound like a great idea either. does anyone want to sell their 96 bose or concert head unit?