Sponsored by:

Yet again ipod adapter: Dice vs. xcarlink

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet again ipod adapter: Dice vs. xcarlink

Hi guys,

this is my very first post to the forums. I kow this questions has been asked many times before - I have spent the last few days browsing the internet and forums to find help. However, either the posts I found were really old (2006) or if they were newish I didn't find an answer to my question.

Right, so here we go: I very recently fullfilled my little dream and bought myself a 2000 TT with Concert I and Bose. What can I say, the car is a dream.

However, being a music lover, I need to hook up my ipod (classic). I've been using a cheap fm mod in my old car but a) the sound was less than perfect and b) it somehow doesn't stick in the *** lighter and keeps falling out.

So I was doing my research and found out about these nice little adapters that you plug into the CD/changer port of th estereo, etc. Well, you know the game

my TOP priorities are:
- FULL controll of the ipod (controlling the ipod via the oem stereo is a plus but not a must, as I HATE using play lists and would rather navigate through my ipod itself but be able to select artists individually. You get the idea)
- Sound quality.

Due to the above mentioned priorities, the dension models won't cut it for me, as they won't allow me to use my ipod. So based on that, I found two mods that seem to do what I want: the DICE ipod integration kit and the XCARLINK ipod kit.

the xcarlink seems to have the added bonus that I can keep use of my cd changer; yet, from what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I need to have a cd AND a tape inserted for it to work (and even then it seems to take liek 20 secs to start playing).

I found very mixed reviews about the sound qualitites of both of them; some people complained about a noise between songs with the xcarlink (although I believe that was just for the USB-kit?).

Again, all this information may be really old as I didnt find sufficient recent info So I hope you guys could help a girl in need of some good advice?

Thanks a lot for any advice and tipps!

J.

P.s: Not quite there yet, as I havent bought an adapter yet, but: I was trying to pull out the stereo the other day (I've done this many times in my previous cars before) but I just couldn't pull it out far at all. I didn't want to break or tear anything, so I didn't use all my power, but it seems like either the cables were really short/tight or they were jammed? Anyone else with that prob? I couldn't even see the plugs at the back of the stereo.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't help but will track this tread as I am interested
Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As suggested, I was having a browse looking for new head units. If they compare price-wise with the adapters, they might really be the mosre convenient option and a real upgrade to the system. So, a few questions: I have heard of Alpine in a forum before but frankly (or maybe because of my background) have never really heard of them much. Are they any good in general?

I found this cd player that also allowes you to hook up your Ipod and play USB-drives:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde-111r.html

Any suggestions?
It says you can hook yr ipod up with a cable ... where does the cable go? To the back of the HU?

I read somewhere, that, in order to still being able to use the Bose system, I would need some kind of adapter or so. Is that difficult to fit? Expensive? And why would I need it (sorry but I dont seem to understand much of this yet

And last but not least: It looks like the right side of my concert HU is stuck now. The removal key doesn't seem to be able to grasp the little hook anymore so putting they key in and pulling it (after it clicked) only results in me pulling the whole key out. It just doesnt stick. To make things worse, the one on the left side works perfectly, too good, as it won't come out now anymore with the stereo still being in place

Oh, all this trouble because I want more music than fits on 6 audio cds ...

Thanks guys!