Brand new Audi disc brakes rusts

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Audi disc brakes rusts

Hi it has been 2 weeks that I bought a brand new Q5 sport TFSI. I noticed the disc brakes have rusting appear. I do get exposure to rain recently but is it normal for a brand new vechile to start rust so soon?
please advice
Old 08-28-2022, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 560 Likes on 377 Posts

Yes, it is normal. It is light surface rust, and will disappear as soon as you use the brakes. It will typically be noticeable if you park the car in the street, and the rotors (which is what I assume you are talking about) are getting splashed by parking traffic. Or you have made short trips in the rain, and the brakes never had enough residual temperature in them to dry off.

Apart from carbon ceramic rotors, or Porsche's optional tungsten carbide surface coated brake rotors (also an option on the e-tron GT), brake rotors will have some surface rust on the swept area (pad contact area) of the rotor. You will see promises of coated brakes for some aftermarket products, but the coating on the swept area comes off after the first couple of times you use them. The protection is only for the non-contact areas of the system.
The following users liked this post:
coolanks (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Yes, it is normal. It is light surface rust, and will disappear as soon as you use the brakes. It will typically be noticeable if you park the car in the street, and the rotors (which is what I assume you are talking about) are getting splashed by parking traffic. Or you have made short trips in the rain, and the brakes never had enough residual temperature in them to dry off.

Apart from carbon ceramic rotors, or Porsche's optional tungsten carbide surface coated brake rotors (also an option on the e-tron GT), brake rotors will have some surface rust on the swept area (pad contact area) of the rotor. You will see promises of coated brakes for some aftermarket products, but the coating on the swept area comes off after the first couple of times you use them. The protection is only for the non-contact areas of the system.
Thanks you and make sense. Yes I did small trips in the rain .. I did a 70km ride today and will continue to monitor .. do you think Of use a wheel cleaner which I got from Audi followed by a snow wash might do some trick?
Old 09-01-2022, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 560 Likes on 377 Posts

If you are talking about the face of the rotor, just use the brakes, best way to clean them. For the others areas, they should be protected. Wheels cleaners are more for brake dust. For small rust spots, use an open weave microfibre cloth or similar, and something like WD40. But not on the swept surface of the rotor of course!!!!

If you are still concerned, you can always post a picture in the relevant Q5 forum section for further feedback. Think you need more than 5 posts to be able to upload a photo though:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...iscussion-218/
The following users liked this post:
coolanks (09-01-2022)