Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?

Im looking at getting a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system with custom muffler for my 98 A4 1.8T Quattro and i was originally gonna get a cat back system.... until a few people told me to get a much better sound and better performance... DEFINATELY go for the turbo back exhaust system!!
Is this the better option??
Obviously the cost is higher for a turbo back exhaust system... but i would rather pay a bit more and get a nice sounding and performance enhancing exhaust system then go the cheaper cat back system.
Can anyone help me with some advice?it would be much appreciated.
CHEERS
Old 09-05-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?

Fresh1,

Turbo back is THE ONLY way to go.

Most importantly get a good up/down pipe - Stainless steel.

BUT iv found that iv made the best sound from getting Equal Length Headers, down pipe with a 3inch system. (NO CAT - I usually run Antilag - FLAME)

Have a chat to "West Racing," the guy to speak to is Tim Slako.

I usuall get my turbo, up-pipe, down-pipe, CAT and most of the pipe work CERAMIC coated by a company in Perth WA. YOou can get either a black or white coating. This coating IS AWESOME, cuts out 85% of heat from the engine bay.

T
Old 09-06-2004, 11:33 PM

Hmmmm so all in all what would be the best total system to get... at a reasonable price?
Some people have told me not to go with 3 inch pipe they say 2.25 or 2.5 inch???
also should i get the same inch pipe for the down pipe as the rest of the exhaust or should the downpipe be larger?
and how important is it to get stainless steel downpipe and that heat resistant coating?

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 AM

90% of cars Dont have the Ceramic coating. But if you intend serious trackdays.......I personally wouldnt run without it.

Stainless steel is good but if budget is a consideration get a Mild steel system - difference being it wont look as good but can be stronger than a stainless system.

If your going to get a complete system make sure its 2.5 or 3 all the way thru, dont vary pipe work as you will get back pressure issues.
its no good having a 3in downpipe if the rest of the system is a 2.5in as it wont be able to keep up with flow capacity.

Iv always found my money has been better spent with a turbo back system.

If you have the extra cash get a race CAT, otherwise shove a broom stick thru the cat.......inreased flow. Dont remove the CAT completely as the FINE's are HUGE if your caught by the RTA/ Police(Not that coppers know what they are looking at)
the downpipe adds to the sound and gives better acceleration. also has been proven to help cooling issue with the turbo. BUT overall it increases the flow.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:39 PM

GREAT!
thanks for all that advice OCHRE-R6

So a mild steel system with 2.5inch down pipe and then a high flow cat and 2.5inch piping for the rest with a custom muffler would be a pretty good system...for a cheaper option?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Exactly.

Important BITS:
2.5 inch Mild steel Turbo back.

Custom muffler or use Remus/ Lukey

SECOND optionsif budget allows:

Race CAT or Shove a broom stick thru the existing Cat.(broom stick option is $500.00+ cheaper)
Old 09-08-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Exactly.

sweet!
i shall get a quote for a turbo back 2.5inch system in mild steel with a modified cat and custom mufflers.
Cheers man!