Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

1Z Glanz Review/Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1Z Glanz Review/Question

I have just washed and 'detailed' my car for the first time following the steps from this site. I used adams claybar and adams car wash, and then the 1Z glanz as a sealent/wax. All of it was applied by hand following the instructions (although I think a porter cable would be much better at doing this) and although I did scratch the car very slightly from the clay, overall it looks very good. Excited to wash the car this coming weekend and see how the 1Z holds up.

Anyway, as for my question, the 1Z on the car makes it feel like butter. Literally when I rub my hand on the paint of the car it feels like the Glanz isn't `set' it feels like I am touching a soft supple substance that is on top of a very hard shell. (maybe this is supposed to be how a good wax/sealant feels??) Did I apply or do something wrong? Or is this how it's supposed to feel?

Also, fingerprints are a nightmare! Opening and shutting of the doors is leaving smudges on everything, (think of a banister at a fancy hotel after the `polish' it and then 30 people walk up holding the railing) They are awful, do people just use detail spray and take them off or is it something with the product that I did incorrectly?

TIA for the comments,
IB

*Edit - Car is midnight blue metallic
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Im a little confused....

u clayed... washed and waxed. Which part would have been easier with the PC? 1z goes on like water and wipes off just as easy...

No polish step? Is the car new?

Freshly detailed cars should feel like glass, hard to describe, but it just feel smooth, like silk for lack of a better word.

If it feels like theres a "film" or "greasyness", something is amiss, did you not buff all the product off? Its kinda tough to diagnois from here. Sometimes the paint needs a good washing to feel better, Ive seen that happen before, wheres it felt better after a wash a week later. who knows, maybe. you could also QD and see if that helps.

Fingerprints? Dont touch it and dont let anyone else touch her. problem solved.

good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 1Z did not feel like water to me

It was pink and much more like a liquid wax than some type of watery detergent. This the 'new' formula so who knows if that matters. I don't think I could have buffed more out, but I just lightly went over it with the buffing MF to make sure the excess product was wiped off, but I didn't go looking to hard to find excess 1Z either. It was just a sort of 'oh, lets put some on, and now I wipe it off, looks good' I didn't really put my arm into it on the buffing front. Maybe the PC would have helped apply the glaze and take it off again. Remember this stuff was link a watery yogurt consistency. Not 'like water' as you have suggested?? Any thoughts??
Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the new foruma of Glanz is like a very, very thin...

it goes on well, and buffs off, like nyny suggests it should feel like glass. maybe you could follow up with a quick QD to make sure you removed everything...

I did use my PC w/a buffing pad to remove it (out of lazyness) and had great results. Equally, doing by hand works well.

The old Glanz's directions said to do the entire car, then buff off. The new stuff says to do a panel, dry to a haze, then buff.

Did you shake the container before using by chance to get the chemicals mixed up?.

was it humid out when you did your detail?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think....

It is just the way this wax feels compared to the turtlewax type products I have always used. I will try a QD at some point as in a few places I wasn't able to remove the excess product, and so it's a bit streaky (on the hood unfortunately) but other than it still looks great, now I just need a pc and some IP to take out those scratches the clay created/unvailed. Never had any idea that those scratches could be removed until I read on this forum that the car isn't supposed to have any scratches. Ignorance was bliss I think.

I'll follow up with what I found, and I did shake the container, but it still looked like the watered down yogurt consistancy. Maybe I have the old formula but I got it from phil, so I doubt that.

IB

IB
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The bottle i bought ~4 months ago from phil was like water / paint thinner

That's how glanz is supposed to be . . .

OTOH, the samples I received from 1Z ~ 1 month ago were a pink creamy consistency.

Perhaps 1Z changed it again?

Dave
Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think there is a new formula - the bottle I received a few weeks ago from Phil was pink

and more creamy... Can't compare to the "old stuff" since I don't have any, but that is what is currently shipping. I recall a forum post not too long ago that 1Z did do a new formulation...
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The pink-milkish consistency is the reformulated Glanz.....

I have not found any difference in it's performance (longevity). I think it has more shine than the original Glanz. It was reformulated because of high VOCs...dunno, the new stuff is extremely potent.

If you don't apply evenly, and it dries, it will be a PITA to remove. I think it's a good product, but you need to apply evenly, don't let it set too long, and buff it off.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes Ian, removing the scratches will help with smoothness

and your car will look great. i usually polish before applying, especially in spring after winter. during the summer, i'll just add a coat. depending on the weather in the fall, i may do a big detail with a couple coats...but figure what the heck, i have to do a major detail (clay, polish, wax) in the spring.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Apply very evenly and don't let it set, honestly though...

I did very well with it, only on the hood did I go a smidge overboard and ended up with to much product, otherwise applying with a MF towel from AutoZone did the job just fine. I know shoot me for using an Autozone towel, but basically I am not paying for 10 towels at 10$ each. Way to much money for me to worry about 'fine' scratches. I just want to maintain the car as best I can, not make it purrfect.

IB

Quick Reply: 1Z Glanz Review/Question