Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

2005 Black S4: Zaino, Menzerna, or Blitz?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Black S4: Zaino, Menzerna, or Blitz?

Would like your opinions. I did Zaino already...protects very well and holds up for a long time...but not overly crazy about the haze.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Haze ?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It seems to just not be as "black" as it should be. Hard to describe.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Default It's probably not the wax...

Did you do the full claybar and polish before you waxed? If not, I'd suggest using a slightly aggressive polish to remove what Zaino remains on the paint and to clear it up. On a nice, black, finish you may want to use a carnauba wax to bring out the depth and shine (you mentioned Blitz but there are others). Or, if your goal is protection, you mentioned the Menzerna which would have a great finish and long-lasting protection.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Didn't claybar as the car was only 1 month old...

but now I'm thinking of claying. I thought it was due to the lack of a carnauba + black finish.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Zaino shouldn't leave any haze regardless of color. Perhaps the temp and/or humidity was

wrong. The thing about Zaino is that, being a polymer, it's a little harder to take off and start over than a carnauba would be. Either way, I'd strip it and try again. If instead you're willing to polish/wax more often, try the Blitz. Menzerna FMJ is another polymer like Zaino, so if your Zaino clouded your finish, Menzerna may do the same thing.

As for clay, even a new car can have embedded deposits, especially if your car was on the lot for long and your dealership is in any sort of industrial area or near a rail yard or airport.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I doubt you did anything wrong...

You probably just didn't complete the prep.

First of all, Zaino won't cloud or haze. What an optically clear polymer like Zaino can do is intensify what finish you DO have.

On a black car the most likely problem is micro-maring. Think of it as swirls on a much smaller scale. It's tiny, tiny scratches that break up the reflection of light. You can get them by using the wrong swirl remover or the wrong pad or the wrong technique or a combination of all of the above.

You can help aleviate the problem by fixing the above or also using a paint cleanser (even finer than swirl remover) and a finer pad.

I also agree about the clay advice. This should be done before the buffing on a black car.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thread jack...can you answer some questions about the Sanctuary?

I'd like to know more about the Eagle lift...do the front and rear ramps fold down as the lift rises?
I assume the vehicle sits on it's side rails...are the tops rubber coated?
How low is it when flat, and how high dies it go when deployed?

I am looking at one of the Snap-On scissor lifts..

Also, where did you find the clear bins you keep in your upright cabinets with all the detailing items in them?

Thanks!!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From your answer I would assume that you are referring to

using SMR and not the Finesse IT II. Or do I have it reversed?

I have the same car and I am about to do the same thing. Which pad would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I almost had to SLEEP in the Sanctuary tonight....

I was reading your post and admiring the, um, "chained Audi fan" and my wife was staring over my shoulder wondering what **** site I was on! LOL! Phew, I lost all concentration...about cars anyway.

The ramp parts stay on the ground and only the black pad section (one long horizontal sections on each side) rise.

The lift is about 3" tall. My Carrera and Cooper S with race tires and lowered bodywork all fit fine. Even my wife parks a car over it everyday. It's like a small speed bump, really. Very wide, easy to get lined up...lots of margin for error. It rises about 3'.

I get my clear bins (Akro brand) from a local Containers and More store. But these same bins are available from many places. Here's a link to just one I found.

The bins are cool. Good sizes, and you can get dividers, etc. Well made. Worth the cost.<ul><li><a href="http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/akrobins.html">Akro Bins</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: 2005 Black S4: Zaino, Menzerna, or Blitz?