Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

After detailing the car thouroughly and then washing the next time...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After detailing the car thouroughly and then washing the next time...

I seem to get all the swirls back. Are these swirls in the clearcoat or just in the wax? Is it possible to apply glaze and swirl remover on top of wax, or do I have to strip the wax everytime I want to get the swirls out?

BTW: I was reading the Zaino site, and DAMN! It says to leave their stuff on for 2-3 hours before the coat of wax. Is this applicable to other polishes or just Zaino.

TIA
Old 10-28-2002, 08:29 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The swirls are in your clearcoat.

Most likely, you're noticing that the wax you're using leaves your paint looking great, since some waxes will minimize the appearance of swirls. That is a temporary effect, and as you have noticed, after a car wash, they will return.

You can use something like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to hide the swirls better (it has better filling properties). The effect will also be temporary (but better than just wax).

You can use something like 3M Swirl Remover to polish out the scratches. It has a fine abrasive in it, so essentially, you'll be sanding down the clearcoat. You'll need to do this every so often, esp. with black paint, but you don't want to make a habit of using it monthly. I would recommend a once or twice a year routine with 3M Swirl Remover to remove the swirls, and 3M IHG in between, if you want to spruce it up until the next Swirl Remover session.

Keep in mind, both of the 3M products mentioned will strip any wax that is on your paint, so plan on re-waxing afterwards. I would also recommend you find a black panel from a junkyard so you can practice your technique of removing swirls using the 3M Swirl Remover. Using products like that by hand usually doesn't yield good results when applying the product to the entire car (spot treatments by hand are usually fine). A random orbital polisher usually yields the best results. Once you establish a routine/techique that gives you good results, THEN apply that technique to your car. Dealing with dark cars is a lot of work, but once you iron how what to do, what not to do, and how to do it, it becomes a bit easier.

As for the Zaino...yes, it does require a little more drying time than regular wax. On warm dry days, it needs 15 minutes. On cold humid days, it may require up to 6 hours. I usually save my wax sessions for the warm and dry days (I use Zaino) when I can.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What RKA said - listen to him : )
Old 10-28-2002, 01:54 PM

Default You should not be applying wax over Zaino!

Maybe you were referring to the 2 - 3 hour dry time between coats of Z5 or Z2. Use ZFX accelerator for much faster drying time.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:05 AM

Have you tried the ZFX accelerator ? cuts drying time next to nothing !!
Old 10-29-2002, 06:02 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Nope. I refuse to pay those morons for something that should be included with the Z2 purchase.

They sell you 2 ml's of fluid for $20, so that their product becomes more workable. In other words, they improved their product, and now they want to gouge the customer for an improvement that shouldn't cost anything. F them!
Old 10-29-2002, 06:10 AM

Default Point well taken.......Should we e-mail them with our thoughts?

Might help ?
Old 10-29-2002, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Raj, I think the reason that it's not included in the Z2 is that it would harden the entire bottle.

Thus the need to mix it seperately. I had the same complaint as you until I thought about it a bit. Either way, I don't use Zaino (P21S all the way).
Old 10-29-2002, 11:57 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default LOL! I know...what I meant was when you purchase a bottle of Z2

(which is not inexpensive either, at $13.00/bottle), you should get the 2ml of ZFX needed to help it cure. As it is, Zaino takes longer to "dry" than almost every other "wax" in the business, so a compound created so it can dry just as quickly as any other product should be included with the purchase.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:35 PM

Default you have a black car? shouldn't be using zaino. imho

zaino is a great product for light colored cars (best obviously is silver

zaino pos:
great long lasting protection, no wax can compare

zaino neg:
horrible at hiding scratches. almost any wax out there does better.

if i were you, i'd switch over to a carnauba wax, p21s is probably the best.. it lasts long (not nearly as long as zaino) but it will more than make up for it when hiding scratches.

try not using swirl remover.. try this.. wash your car with dawn (might take 2 washes, cause zaino is tough stuff) after that, throw on some pre-wax cleaner.. to make sure you got it all off, then put on glaze, and after that wax.

stick to regular wax on dark colors, and zaino on light colors.

you should only have to do this every six months (with dawn/pre-wax and all that) just wax every 6-8 weeks (on top of old coat) and you'll be doing a-ok.. and you wont be seeing those anoying scratches.. (that are on the clear coat)

Quick Reply: After detailing the car thouroughly and then washing the next time...