Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Also, what do you guys do with your MFTs after you use them for a good detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also, what do you guys do with your MFTs after you use them for a good detailing?

do you just throw them away? it seems like paying 5 bucks a pop for the 3Ms or Meguiars or whatever would get expensive. the damn things are just magnets for dirt and seem to be impossible to get clean? And i only buy the ones with the rounded edges that are ultra soft.

Should i not even use them? i am super pissed right now as i went to use some quick detail to get something off of my otherwise spotless car and got a bunch of little tiny scratches that will easily buff out but are frustrating nevertheless. TIA.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you're scratching while detailing something's wrong with the towel or the process . .

I'm not a fan of misting with QD and then wiping except after a wash. If there's something on my paint like bird poop I use a stream of water and something gentle to wipe it like a wash mitt to get it off, not a mist of QD and a towel. There's no telling what's on the surface of the paint if it hasn't been washed. Road grime/dust can cause swirls pretty easy even if you're moving it around with a quality towel. A good quality MF shouldn't be scratching your paint unless you're putting far too much pressure on the surface.

QD for me is for only a couple of things; 1) to use as a lube for claying and 2) after washing the car and wiping down with a WW MF I mist the car down and wipe with a dry clean plush MF for a streak free finish.

As for cleaning MF towels there are numerous cleaning solutions out there to restore their absorbancy etc. For me I find that normal washing and drying (gentle cycle, low temp on the dryer) with detergent and then 1/4 cup of dish soap with 2 rinse cycles works fine.
I wash my MF this way after every detail. It takes a little bit of babysitting for the washer but at a low water level and using gentle cycle it doesn't take too long.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Former Vendor

Default You can throw them in the laundry if they are that dirty, I go auto soak setting with hot/cold water

with some Tide. It usually does the job, how old are the towels?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your towels are dirty (not dingy with wax/polish, but actually dirt-y), you're doing something

wrong.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Default agreed. Same thing with the towel you dry with. If it gets dirty drying the car

it means you didnt get it clean in the first place.

A drying towel should only be wet after drying, and buffing towels shoould only have dried product in them.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default As mentioned below...you need to work on your regimen...

You should not be picking up any significant amounts of dirt when waxing, polishing, etc. On the off chance that you do get them dirty with anything other than the waxing and polishing products, it's been mentioned that you can soak them in water for a day, then wash them. The soaking will soften the fibers and apparently allow the MF to release any dirt they have captured a little easier.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use Micro-Restore

It works great.

A few months ago, I got a bunch of pencil shavings on some of my yosteve towels, I let them soak for a long time but still no luck in getting the junk out. They have been retired to interior duty. I need to pick up some new ones in the spring.

Before that happened, I just threw them in the wash on their own with regular detergent; worked great.

I recently picked up a bottle of micro-restore from autogeek and the stuff is amazing. Highly reccomended.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Default no they pick up stuff in the garage even if i store them in clean drawers. somehow random stuff

still sticks to them. its like no matter what i do i cant get all the stuff off of them.

not one of them has a streak of dirt on them.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know what to tell you then. I keep mine in a little 3-drawer plastic roll-around and they've

never gotten anything stuck to them, and the oldest are over 3 years old now.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 PM

hmm i use the exact same thing for my detailing supplies.... oh well

Quick Reply: Also, what do you guys do with your MFTs after you use them for a good detailing?