Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Anyone use flat nylon hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone use flat nylon hoses?

I was wandering around the garden section of the local Freddy Meyers checking out nozzles(come on, you know you've done it too and I was tempted to buy one of these hose reels. I'm in an apartment so I have to use my own hose at the maintenance garage and then bring it back to my garage. In the winter it gets to be a pain to get the hose empty and rolled up without a reel. One of these nylon hose things looks like it might work well. Any opinions?<ul><li><a href="http://www.flat-hoses.com/flat-hose.html">http://www.flat-hoses.com/flat-hose.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-16-2002, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just gave a bunch to friends for x-mas. I like mine, very convenient.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 AM

Default How will the cold affect these hoses? I use a rubber hose from Sears -->

that stays flexible down to 25 below.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I must have a crappy hose then, gets stiff and hard to work with once it gets into the 40s.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Mine too. Vinyl does that.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to say...they are junk...

I went through four, yes four, in one day. Had to return to Home Depot four times.. the hose cracked on one, the hose split on two others and the real handle broke on the third. I gave up and took a store credit...
Old 12-17-2002, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The best hose in the world is the Apex ultra-flow. Never kinks

<ul><li><a href="http://www.teknorapex.com/lwngardn/heavyduty.html">http://www.teknorapex.com/lwngardn/heavyduty.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-17-2002, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the info folks.

I will give it a try after Christmas and see how it works out. Since it will only be used for washing the car and will always be put away durability shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just in case tho I'll be shopping somewhere that I can return or get store credit.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Update: Just bought one online.

I read the advice here saying "don't", but I bought one anyway to meet a special need.

I drain and stow my garden hose for the season, and getting it out just to wash the cars during the winter is just too much of a PITA. Until now this meant "washing" my cars by hauling multiple buckets of water out of the house (a laundry room sink just off the garage makes it somewhat bearable to do this). Mostly I just rinse off salt during the winter doing this. But....I thought about the convenience of using one of those flat hoses that you can roll up and put away without too much trouble. I convinced myself to get one. I've installed a threaded faucet on the laundry room sink, so all I need is a hose to attach to it, then run it out the door, through the garage to the driveway. 50 feet should do! A regular hose would be bulky and inconvenient, but a flat hose on a reel should be perfect for this. If it doesn't last long, so be it. No big investment. Worth a shot to see how this idea of mine works! I just ordered it, so I'll report in a couple/few weeks after I get it.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default ABSOLUTE CRAP, I've broken three of them. Well, actually, water has. I've never gotten to use them

because they always burst within a few seconds.

Quick Reply: Anyone use flat nylon hoses?