Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Anyone use a pressure washer, on light setting of course, to wash their car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone use a pressure washer, on light setting of course, to wash their car?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM

Default OMG, why?

Does your clear coat offend you?

Washing a car requires only hand pressure from holding a sponge. If you've got bigger problems than that, you've got some big problems indeed.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In your post referring to the deionization product

there is a demo video of a man washing his car with a pressure washer. I definitely don't do this but I'm sure you've seen this done on the dealer lots. I think with careful use it shouldn't do any harm. Keep it on a light setting and the nozzle about 8" away from the car.

Who uses a sponge to wash their car? ;o)<ul><li><a href="http://www.crspotless.com/">http://www.crspotless.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what about those self wash places, i use their water spray thing to rinse off my car is that bad?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Those wands are indeed create powerful forces of water

but they dont compare to a 1700 psi pressure washer. Even so, at the DIY places, dont get to close to the paint.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Default When I drive by a dealership

and see those pressure dudes hosing down all the cars in the morning, I cringe. It's really just an attempt to speed up the process since they have so many to do. I bet the soap they use, heated and pressured, is enough to take rust off lawn furniture. Sheesh!

Since most people do only one car at a time in their driveway, what's the problem with a sponge? Same with drying, I use the Absorber and it's not nearly the drudgery those spotless folks are trying to indicate. Now if I had to do second and third story windows on my house or some nasty concrete, pressure wash is the way to go. Not necessary for car.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Indeed

always use the lowest pressure option on the control panel and stand back. You're not trying to sandblast the clear coat off the car, just remove surface dirt!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i picked up a cool bonaire wash-n-rinse spray gun thingy at costco a while back.. .. linky

it connects to a garden hose, so it's not very high pressure, but it does have a nice spray like a pressure washer. its lightweight, and you pur your carwash shampoo into the little handle, and it has a switch for soapy water, or just water. best thing i got for washing my car since the car itself best of all... no need for a bucket!!<ul><li><a href="http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=31303&amp;promotion=86072">this is what it is</a></li></ul>
Old 06-23-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Anyone use a pressure washer, on light setting of course, to wash their car?

Pressure Washer:
Electric powered high-pressure washer's can be used everywhere that a normal mains pressure hose would be used, but you should take a few precautions with there use. Beware of forcing water into areas were it can't drain, and don't hold the nozzle too close to paint surfaces for as well as impact damage an excess of water pressure could damage paint surface, it can also remove stripes and vinyl graphics.

Be careful when working with the pressure hose nozzle close to the vehicle paintwork, or while working in confined places like engine compartments as it could recoil and cause impact damage, try to keep a three or four foot distance and use the wand at a 45 degree angle

They are an ideal tool for the cleaning of fender wells and undercarriage, and for the removal of road salt from these areas.
JonM
Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Yes- B&D 1500...but only after 'dialing it in'

Yes, I do use one but only after I open up the fan spray to the point I can place my hand 2" in front of wand w/o any discomfort. This creates a perfect 'water broom' effect to remove soap, etc, and only has a 1gpm flow rate which is perfect for my deionized water unit.