Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

bout to order a PC 7336 some pads..etc.one question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bout to order a PC 7336 some pads..etc.one question

i need a wax to help remove swirls and light hairline scratchs. What would be my best choice for use on the whole car? 3M Perfect it swirl remover, Poorboy's Light Abrasive Swirl Remover..etc Dont want to create more swirls than im getting rid.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Menzerna FP/IP are my favorite to work with a PC. Can't go wrong.

BTW, those are considered polishes. Waxes offer no cuting ability (just for future reference).

You can search this board and find many different suggestions. Just make sure you start with the least abbrasive and work your way up as needed.

Too bad DP doesn't sell Menzerna products.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I 2nd the Menzerna line, very good stuff. I also use Poorboys (polish) with success as well.

As SteveAZ has said, start light and work up if needed.

I found with the deep swirls on my A6 that the prior owner left in there I had to go to Poorboys SSR2.5 and an orange lake county cutting pad to cut them down. This was the most agressive thing I had at the time and even with the PC on 5.5 speed with some pressure I never damaged the paint (volcano black mica).

Of course I started small, with Menzerna Final Polish II on a Lake County white polishing pad, then tried Menzerna Intensive Polish on a Lake County yellow cutting pad. IP worked but work time was too long, taking 3 or 4 applications. With PB SSR2.5 though, I was able to do 1 application and then step down to Final Polish II with a finishing pad (thereby going from 4 passes to 2). I use Zaino as my sealant of choice though I've also tried P21S carnuba and Klasse AIO/SG.

Polishing makes all the difference, don't skimp on this process. Take your time, do it right and go for the end result you want during this stage of your detailing. Waxes and sealants have limited capabilities when it comes to hiding things so ultimately how well you prep the surface through polishing has a DIRECT IMPACT on final appearance.

You'll find that after a really good polishing with the PC your finish is going to look deeper and wetter than before. Since the finish will look so nice after polishing well, waxing/sealing after that won't improve appearance as much as it would on the unprepped surface. HOWEVER the well prepped surface will keep the protection of the wax/sealant longer whereas the poorly prepped or unprepped surface's nice appearance from the fresh wax/sealant will be shorter lived.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wax doesn't remove swirls!

3 votes for Menzerna.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You made the Poor Boys SSR2.5 sound very tempting...

i live the idea of less applications My cars paint isnt in bad condition..is the SSR2.5 a little much for all over use? Should i try the the SSR1 first?

Thanks, this is very helpful!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Start mild, work up to agressive when needed. Always the rule of thumb when it comes to polishing.

The recommendation to start mild and work up in agressiveness and then back down to a finish polish is always the best advice to follow. It minimizes the amount of effort and will yield a good end result.

I started with Menzerna and it's a great product but the swirls I had needed more. Based on advice from Ranney over at Pakshak.com I tried PB's SSR 2.5 and that worked great for what I neeeded. I didn't use it all around, just on the upper parts of the quarterpanels and the hood/trunk/roof. Once done with that I stepped back down to Menzerna and did the whole car with the milder polish.

If all you have available is PB's then it's worth a shot. Start with the lower number (milder) and see how it goes.

I recommend Troy's guide here as well as the detailing 101 guide on Detailersclub.com (also a site supported by Detailers Paradise).

One last thing; once all the swirls are gone don't put any back ! Perfect your washing and wax/sealing processes so you limit the swirls/scratching to begin with. It's tough, but that's what will save you from the chore of doing this full detail often.