Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Brilliant black S5 - removing minor scratches + detailing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brilliant black S5 - removing minor scratches + detailing

I have a brilliant black S5. I just picked it up at the end of February and am looking to do an exterior detail on it.

The paint has some very minor swirl marks - probably from the dealer prep. It also has some small areas of minor scratches (when I made the mistake of trying to remove bird poop using a gas station windshield washer squeege).

This is the first nice black car I have owned and first time doing a full detailing. I have researched in how to properly wash/detail and my plan was to:

1) Use Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q with a random orbital polisher & a Lake Country 4" Orange Mild Cutting Pad on just the areas with scratches

2) Use Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish PO106FA with a random orbital polisher & a Lake Country 4" White Polishing Pad for the whole car

3) Seal with a hand applicator & Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Any comments on this approach or alternate product recommendations? I read Audi's had hard a clearcoat so this is why I was thinking about the super intensive polish/nano polish vs the intensive polish/final polish.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor

Your combination of products looks great, it should take care of your detailing needs. I'd advise you to stick with the polishes you mentioned over the IP/FPII combo.

One piece of advice with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, it can be very finicky during the removal process. What I found works best is applying it as thin as possible (use a smaller dispenser bottle if possible) and once your done applying a panel, go back and remove it. At the end, it's worth going over with some cold distilled water or a quick detailer with a plush towel to ensure you removed all of the HGSG.

If anything, swap out the Klasse for a sealant that is easier to apply and remove.

Hope this helps,

George
Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks George. What would you recommend as an alternate sealant? I was looking at:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant V3.0
Chemical Guys M-Seal Micro Finish Factory Paint Sealant -Protection System
Optimum Opti-Seal
Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Former Vendor

Bang for the buck, Chemical Guys M-Seal is a great sealant. Easy to apply and remove, looks great on all colors and offers a few months of protection. You can't beat the ease of use of OPT Opti-Seal, simply one of the easiest products to apply and it has a great look to it. I haven't used the Wolfgang sealant so I cannot comment on that. Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is another great sealant to take a look at if you have it available to you.

I personally would go with either of those sealants over Klasse strictly on the time and effort that will be saved on removing the product. Klasse does offer outstanding protection and a great look, especially when you get 2 - 3 layers deep, it's just very time consuming.

Keep us posted on what you end up using and how your results turn out.

Cheers,

George