Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Buffing towel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing towel?

I've been doing a ton of research in to the various products available to the auto detailing enthusiast. I've relied very much on the information available on Autopia and CCS (*and* here at AW).

I have found that microfiber is not the most effective buffing medium to remove the likes of 3M IHG and natural waxes (I intend to use Blitz). Specifically, that microfiber is so soft it doesn't have the "bite" needed to effectively remove the product.

I intend to use a microfiber cloth as a finishing touch, but during the application removal phase, what are you guys using to buff? 100% cotton is what I'm being told, but wanted to solicit the rest of the group. If that's the case, it's off to Griot's...
Old 05-21-2002, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use Viking Cotton Terry towels (100%), available form autozone

They work great for Blitz, but 3M IHG can be a PITA to buff on reguardless of the towel if you don't let it dry enough or let it dry to long.

Blitz will be easy to remove no matter what you use, microfiber or cotton towels. You'd be the first perosn to say microfiber wasn't doing a good job for buffing off from what I recall on these forums.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really like the Griot's Garage towels. They're pricey, but they are really soft and last a long

time. I've had them for 8 months now, and other than some pulls where I've caught the towel on the S4 emblem, they look brand new, and get softer with each wash.

If they're too pricey, I can certainly understand. Here's what I would recommend. Get 100% Cotton terry cloth towels. Make sure that both the towels, and the stitching used on the ends is NOT nylon. That will scratch your car like a hypodermic needle. To ensure that it's not nylon, pull a thread from the towel, as well as the stitching, and light it with a match or lighter. If it melts, it's nylon. If it burns and leaves an ash, it's cotton.

I use a different towel for removing each product (i.e., glaze, polish and wax) as you wouldn't want to try to remove wax with a towel you used to remove polish (any polish on the towel would only strip the wax back off). Then just wash them and reuse. Oh, and don't use any fabric softener in the washer or the dryer. It leaves a residue on the towels that streaks your paint.

Hope this helps. Here's the link to Griot's:<ul><li><a href="http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&amp;SKU=11100">Griot's Towels</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-2002, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Microfiber cloths work well for me (removing Zaino residue), just need some extra elbow grease...

Zaino Z-2 leaves relatively small amounts of residue after it dries (if applied correctly), so the microfiber cloths are enough to get it off, although Zaino recommends 100% white cotton bath towels made in USA.

I haven't noticed any swirl marks with microfiber so far - then again, my car is silver ;-)
Old 05-21-2002, 07:17 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup, I use quality 100% terry towels to move the bulk of the residue.

I use the microfiber to remove the last 10-20% of the material, and buff to a brilliant shine.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:36 AM

Thanx guys, and thanx Ted K for the personal response. I love AW!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default micro fiber towels have worked fine for me, provided the stuff on the car wasn't applied too much

I've had a tendency to use too much IHG / etc a few times, and then it's just a pain to take off - takes a lot of elbow grease. When I put on a nice thin coat of Blitz/IHG, it comes off just fine.

I have the MF towels from neatitems.com (the ones from yosteve.com are well regarded too).
Old 05-21-2002, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No problem. Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hehe... neatitems.com - me too. I think HDClown has recommended them.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:13 PM

Default i just got a pack of 24 terry towels for $10 Home depot, they passed the test, but dont dry too well

plus leave a lot of lint behind.

is this typical of a terry towel? the lint? not sure if i want to invest in bigger flufier towels or a chamois.

or maybe its time for bedbath and beyond :0)

Quick Reply: Buffing towel?