Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Can you guys critique my product choice and method please? I have a Charcoal Grey 2006 Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you guys critique my product choice and method please? I have a Charcoal Grey 2006 Lexus IS350

the car has about 21k on the clock and the paint is in pretty decent condition.... there arent swirl marks (as far as I can tell, and if there are they arent very noticeable) but there are some scratches and rock chips and the like.

When I had my B5 S4 I did a lot of research here for detailing products.... this is what I still use today. Keep in mind, I do not have a rotary or a PC, I do it all by hand.

Wash: Gold Class
Clay: ClayMagic
Polish: P21S GEPC
Wax: P21S
Quick Detailer: One Grand ShowOff
MF Towels: Steve's

Here is my concern... im not sure if the P21S GEPC and Wax are the best selection. Some of the scratches I think should come out, dont with my polishing and waxing. A couple of them were covered up as soon as I put the wax on (I guess the clearcoat was filled in) but I'd like something that hides, or even fixes, (without a rotary or PC) the scratches. Should I buy IHG?

So, if you guys have some suggestions please let me know. If you think I should change the Gold Class or anything, I'd love to hear some new suggestions.

Let me say, the car does look fantastic now, after the washing, claying, polishing, and waxing. Im gonna hit it with the QD today to give it that extra zip.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default IHG sucks...I hate working with it...

Car Shampoo is car shampoo...Personally I use Mothers California shine and it works fine...

If you are satisfied with it...leave it...

and yes the P21s is probably just filling in the clear-coat and will eventually get washed away as you wash it more and more
Old 04-21-2007, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i just feel like i need something that actually fixes or better hides some of the minor scratches
Old 04-21-2007, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Menzerna Final Polish II doesn't have fillers and will remove the fine scratches very nicely

get a PC Its the best investment you'll ever make on your car
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

yah, then ill need to buy a PC
Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default believe me

its really worth it...ask anyone here...you can't detail without one
Old 04-21-2007, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GEPC *is* just filling in the imperfections. It is a nice addition to give some "pop" prior to...

...waxing, however it will not perform any correction; especially when doing the work w/o a polisher.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

so i have no options for actual paint correction without the use of a rotary or PC, correct?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

2nd, huge difference in your details using a machine.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, I wouldn't say that is entirely true. Certainly it is easier to correct paint...

...with a machine, however some correction can be done by hand. It all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to the job. If your time is worth more to you than the 150.00 or so dollars it costs to purchase a PC then you should go with a machine.

In order to perform correction it is really a question of product, applicator, and technique. You really need to make a determination of what level of correction you need and make an informed decision as to what product to invest in based on that.

For instance: for my initial purchase [after deciding that "by-hand" was not giving me the results I wanted] I went w/a PC, a couple of basic pads, and Menzerna products [IP and FPII]. My results thus far have been extraordinary although YMMV.

Quick Reply: Can you guys critique my product choice and method please? I have a Charcoal Grey 2006 Lexus IS350