Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Car with paint that needs some TLC

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car with paint that needs some TLC

I have a black A4, the previous owner before me did not wax the car that often. The passenger door has some scratches on it. Would like to see them go away (maybe some polish??) After it rains the paint loves to show water spots.

I plan to:
Wash
Claybar
Wash, dry
Polish
Wax

Should I use dish soap to strip the wax on the inital wash??

What is the best wax, polish to use? I already bought the meguires claybar kit.... Should i spend the extra bucks on a buffer for the polish??
Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few toughts...

If you're going to polish, it doesn't much matter what you use to wash the car -- the polish will effectly remove any wax that's on there. Many people recommend Dawn, others a 2X strength car wash.

If you've got the coin for a dual-action polisher, they make things a lot easier.

If you'd like some pointers before you jump in, let me point you to some excellent background reading that I used to get me started. Just follow the "how to make your car shine" link in my signature and I point to some good resources.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A few toughts...

Jeeez... it looks brand new, I hope my A4 will look like that when I finish! Thanks!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default His car looks better than brand new

If the appearance of your vehicle matters to you and you have the money I would highly reccomend a random orbital polisher. If your finish has a lot of swirls and scratches, the only real way to remove them is to have a professional detail from someone who is crafty with a circular polisher.

I played around with some new pads and product on my hood yesterday and found that Menzerna's Final touch glaze did a nice job at filling in some swirls, so I would highly reccomend that product along with anything else you purchase.

Personally I believe every penny spent on a detail attributes to the value of the car, therefore, it is worth investing your time and money on quality products.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Random Orbital Polisher

Is it possible to buy one of these at like Target or Walmart?? I know there is the random orbital buffer and rotary buffer. I am not going to touch a rotary buffer as quite honestly I dont have much expereince with them and would not want to ruin my paint.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're just starting out, you'd be better off...

purchasing a kit from one of the forum sponsors (Detailer's Paradise or Adams Polishes) or through www.properautocare.com. Get the machine (Porter Cable is the machine of choice), the pads, and your polishes/glazes/sealants/etc. in one shot and you'll save money.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Claybar on glass...

It is alright to use the Claybar on the windshield and windows right? I can see some water spots even after using window cleaner, hope this will rid of that.

Is plexus alright to use to polish up the headlights??

Do I use a metal polish or something like plexus on the silver outlining trim around the windows on the outside?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers...

Claybar is great on glass. That and some good glass cleaner (Windex NOT included).

Plexus is great for headlights.

Not sure about metal trim around windows. Mine are in good shape so they have never needed any special attention. I've heard people recommend bar keeper's friend (a stainless steel polish) for stuff like this.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lowe's home center sells them, but you can follow the link at the top right of the

page. Detailers paradise sells pads and polisher all in one bundle.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor

Default SouthboroAudiGuy, thanks for the ups I appreciate it, Audi4780, let me know if I can help you out

I've got one more kit for sale right now, check it out.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/46075.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/46075.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Car with paint that needs some TLC