Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Carbon Fiber Hazing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Hazing....

I have a VIS carbon hood on my S4 and the finish isn't looking too hot. When I bought it, the carbon fiber had a nice deep clear coat. Since then I've taken reasonably good care of it with regular washing and waxing. Just recently with my home remodel I let my car care lapse and the car got pretty darn dirty. Now that the remodel is over I am just getting back into the swing of things and got to washing the car.

What I found is that while the paint on the rest of the car looks just as good as the day I got the car, the carbon hood has a good amount of hazing on it. I thought "ok, maybe it's just some stubborn dirt" and used some Meguiars "cleaner wax". Now I know i am no detail connoisseur and that my 1 step method may be inferior but I need some advice. The car is by no means a show car and I don't need a super crazy detail program; I'd just like to remove the haze without damaging the clear coat and I wasn't sure if there were any particular care issues with carbon fiber and why it won't clean up like the rest of the car?

Any favorite products that a beginner can use without screwing up the finish? Thanks!

Rob
Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Default It might be the top coat starting to delam

VIS is not the highest quality product. It's actually a fiberglass hood, with a CF top coat, they don't like heat much, & will start to shrink with the engine heat, this will start to cloud the clear.

You need to take it to a Pro for a good buff & then just maintain it after. Or you can spend the $$ & get some good products & tools. The porter cable might not be enough to fix it.

Look at Phils page, & get just about anything on it, you will not be disappointed, I really, really like the 1Z kit.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try to use some dedicated polish or Meguiars scratch X by hand

Polish, with a terry cloth of MF appliator with some pressure in a small isolated area, see if the polish takes away the 'hazing' you are speaking of. Cleaner wax is very mild and really won't attack haze without many applications with very minimal to no improvement.

My .02 cents.
IB
Old 10-28-2007, 10:31 PM

2nd, i would try scratch x, it helped on a freinds slight hazing of carbon fiber
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

nah the non-cleared resin just acts like single stage. it can be buffed out