Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Cigarette Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cigarette Smell?

I've just purchased my first Audi, a 2017 CPO Q7. Unfortunately, the car REEKS of cigarette smoke. The dealer said they ran an ozone machine the day before we picked it up and it smelled better than when we test drove it but after leaving it closed up for the first night it literally smells like the stinkiest ashtray of death.

Has anyone ever successfully eliminated cigarette smoke smell from a car? This was a lease return so it must have been smoked in for a few years and 35,000 miles to be exact.

TIA!

Old 12-19-2020, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Have you tried Fabreeze? Also, leaving a Bounce dryer sheet under each seat.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 925 Likes on 757 Posts

Try this: https://mosonatural.com/car-moso-bag-cars-trucks-suvs/
Old 12-31-2020, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Ozone machines will help eliminate odors, but you probably need to combine that with a deep cleaning. I would inquire at local pro detail shops, especially ones with solid google reviews with pictures.
The following users liked this post:
FlatsCatFL (09-09-2022)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Ozone will help, but only if the source of the odors is removed. This may require a full interior deep cleaning--this means all carpets, headliners, seats, dash, and even the cabin air filter to start. After that is done, then applying ozone, febreeze, dryer sheets, baking soda, or vinegar (place a few cups/bowls around interior overnight) will be much more effective.
The following 2 users liked this post by huntpsu1:
FlatsCatFL (09-09-2022), uberwgn (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm with Hunt. Extremely difficult to fully correct this contamination.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethalsouls
Ozone machines will help eliminate odors, but you probably need to combine that with a deep cleaning.
Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Ozone will help, but only if the source of the odors is removed. This may require a full interior deep cleaning--this means all carpets, headliners, seats, dash, and even the cabin air filter to start. After that is done, then applying ozone, febreeze, dryer sheets, baking soda, or vinegar (place a few cups/bowls around interior overnight) will be much more effective.
Agree with both of the above - car needs a serious deep cleaning to have any chance of reducing the smell. All surfaces will need deep and thorough cleaning - this should include the use of steam cleaning and carpet extraction. Also be sure to give the interior glass surfaces (inc sunroof) a deep clean, otherwise you'll notice the smell re-emerging when the car is parked in the sun on a warmer day.

You may never be able to fully remove the smell, but you should be able to significantly reduce it.
​​​
Old 03-15-2021, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Try leaving a couple of cans of baking soda open in the car. Windows and doors closed and it helps if the car is in a heated environment. I did it for 3 days in a row on an MDX and the smell almost completely went away.

Last edited by MarkIndy; 03-15-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Aerfally (07-10-2023)
Old 06-24-2021, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Info in case the problem persisted this long after OP, or for anyone who might happen upon this: Ozone generators are pretty amazing! One caveat, though; ozone reportedly increases aging of rubber.

My cousin gave me a (pretty rough) 2007 Impala. It had a weird malodor, think fast food plus dampness. I bought
 this one this one
and ran it in the car in the hot sun with the AC on recirc for several hours, then overnight in the garage, and it now smells like a new car even after parking in the sun, or after rain!

HTH,
Tom
Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Air vents...is there a way to clean the air vents? I've no doubt there's likely nicotine buildup/residue in the air vents if the car was driven by a regular smoker.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Smell?